Objectivism Online Forum

Fire arms,and convicted felons

Rate this topic

Cogitatio

Hello,

I have been pondering to my self.Do convicted felons have a right to firearms?

I believe that they do there have served there time in prison,That was there punishment.

After they are released there rights should be restored as well. I believe this should include the ownership of firearms.I would like to get some feed back maybe I am missing something.

Just like incarceration, not being allowed to own firearms is a perfectly logical, sensible punishment for committing a violent crime.

It of course has to be proportional to the crime (meaning you can't just impose it on someone for the rest of their life, because they started a bar fight), but that doesn't mean it has to be the same duration as the length of incarceration.

It's clearly a much lesser punishment, so it makes sense that it should last much longer than incarceration.

Edited by Nicky

• 2 months later...

The right to bear arms is an extention of the right to self-defense, which is a necessary consequence of the right to live.  The question to ask yourself is: does a criminal have the right to his own life?

If so then he has the right to bear arms; if not then he shouldn't be alive anymore.  (or, in the very least, not freely roaming the streets)

YES, once someone has served their time, they have the right to own a gun again.  So if violent offenders are being released from prison, turning around and shooting people again, the problem is that they were released at all.  Cold, calculated murder should result in death.  If someone goes to jail for nonlethal violent crimes (armed robbery, attempted murder, et cetera) three different times within a single lifetime, I'd give them the death penalty too.

But other than that the answer is yes.