Objectivism Online Forum

leafletting on private college campuses

Rate this topic

nogreymoral

Many private colleges do not allow leafletting by nonprofits or businesses. When campus officials find someone leaflettng they usually just ask the person to leave. Sometimes they will take the person's name to know in the future if the person received a warning.

Some officials at private colleges don't mind, the their formal policy likely does not allow it. Some private campuses will allow you to rent space for a table for a small fee or let you team up with a student group that does have permission to set us a table, where on can leaflet in front of the table.

I have read Ayn Rand's The Cult of Moral Grayness and think it may be unethical to even start leafletting on a campus that likely does not allow leafletting even if they only politely ask people to stop and even if I am prepared to leave. Or am I being a perfectionist and should I instead simply do the leafletting and stop when asked?

If it matters, the leaflets would be about a nonprofit social issue that seeks to stop an unethical behavior.

The issue is that a potential job involves leafletting on private and public campuses, so one can't take the job and sit out the private campus visit.

Activity logs of the organization show they have successfully leafletted many private campuses and they even note special considerations for each campus.

The main point is that in a -private- domain there is no "first amendment". The owner of the domain can decide how much exercise of free speech (or press) can be exercised on -his- turf. Freedom of Speech is a limitation on government power, no a right that can be exercised on someone else's property.

ruveyn1