Objectivism Online Forum

Approaching an employer for a second chance

Rate this topic

Last year I committed to a particular job that I was highly enthusiastic about, but for several reasons, uncertain whether it was right for me. After weeks of deliberateion, I ended up wavering at the last minute and let the opportunity slip. I posted about it here last May:

http://forum.objecti...461#entry292574

I deeply regret that I did not take the job then and want to approach the employer and ask for another chance. I have no idea what my odds are, but I have nothing to lose by trying.

I wrote a letter that I'm not quite satisfied with. I would greatly appreciate any feedback.

Dear (Company President),

I am contacting you to re-explore the possibility of working for (Company Name).

As you well know, I was unable to fulfill my commitment to you last year. It has been an immense regret, and I sincerely apologize for taking your time. Not that reasoning matters much, but I can offer that I did have a worrisome health issue, which I kept to myself, that weighed heavily on my mind and contributed to my uncertainty. I know you have a business to run, and I understand why you withdrew the offer.

Looking back with the clarity of hindsight, the question of my health was not serious enough that it should have prevented me from taking the job. The truth is my own fear lead to me not following through on my commitment. The total sum of the circumstances—the stress of relocating alone to a strange place for a demanding new job when I was already feeling trepid—led me to lie awake many nights questioning whether I was making the “right” decision. What should have been an adventure turned into a troubling game of “what if…”

Call it a young man’s insecurities more than anything.

Even though I realize that it may be too late now, I still have a strong desire to sell (The Company's) investment products. If you are willing to give me another chance, I have overcome the fears that inhibited me last year and am confident in my readiness to act decisively at this time. I still possess the attributes that you originally hired me for: a passionate belief in (The Company Owner's) message, a thorough understanding of his investment strategy; and the ability to successfully promote it. The sales training I received is still very fresh in my mind, and my confidence in my sales acumen and securities knowledge are better than ever. Most importantly, I am completely over any uncertainty. This has been a humbling experience, but I have learned from it.

Please let me know if you have any interest in discussing this matter further. And thank you for taking the time to read this letter.

Sincerely,

(Severely Maladjusted)

Edited by Severely Maladjusted

Looks great — but I wouldn't sign the letter "Severely Maladjusted."

Kidding! I think you have a strong letter overall, however I would omit much of the personal details. Here is my edit:

I am contacting you to re-explore the possibility of working for (Company Name).

As you well know, I was unable to fulfill my commitment to you last year. It has been an immense regret, and I sincerely apologize for taking your time. Not that reasoning matters much, but I can offer that I did have a worrisome health issue, which I kept to myself, that weighed heavily on my mind and contributed to my uncertainty. I know you have a business to run, and I understand why you withdrew the offer.

Looking back with the clarity of hindsight, the question of my health was not serious enough that it should have prevented me from taking the job. The truth is my own fear lead to me not following through on my commitment. The total sum of the circumstances—the stress of relocating alone to a strange place for a demanding new job when I was already feeling trepid—led me to lie awake many nights questioning question whether I was making the “right” right decision. What should have been an adventure turned into a troubling game of “what if…”

Even though I realize that it may be too late now, however I still have a strong desire to sell (The Company's) investment products. If you are willing to give me another chance, I have overcome the fears that inhibited me last year and am confident in my readiness to act decisively at this time. I still possess the attributes that you originally hired me for: a passionate belief in (The Company Owner's) message, a thorough understanding of his investment strategy;, and the ability to successfully promote it. The sales training I received is still very fresh in my mind, and my confidence in my sales acumen and securities knowledge are better than ever. Most importantly, I am completely over any uncertainty. This has been a humbling experience, but I have learned from it.

Please let me know if you have any interest are interested in discussing this matter further. And thank you for taking the time to read this letter.

Sincerely,

(Exceedingly Well-Adjusted)

Edited by Kevin Delaney

Looks great — but I wouldn't sign the letter "Severely Maladjusted."

Kidding! I think you have a strong letter overall, however I would omit much of the personal details. Here is my edit:

Looking back with the clarity of hindsight, the question of my health was not serious enough that it should have prevented me from taking the job. The truth is my own fear lead to me not following through on my commitment. The total sum of the circumstances—the stress of relocating alone to a strange place for a demanding new job when I was already feeling trepid—led me to lie awake many nights questioning question whether I was making the “right” right decision. What should have been an adventure turned into a troubling game of “what if…”

Even though I realize that it may be too late now, however I still have a strong desire to sell (The Company's) investment products. If you are willing to give me another chance, I have overcome the fears that inhibited me last year and am confident in my readiness to act decisively at this time. I still possess the attributes that you originally hired me for: a passionate belief in (The Company Owner's) message, a thorough understanding of his investment strategy;, and the ability to successfully promote it. The sales training I received is still very fresh in my mind, and my confidence in my sales acumen and securities knowledge are better than ever. Most importantly, I am completely over any uncertainty. This has been a humbling experience, but I have learned from it.

Please let me know if you have any interest are interested in discussing this matter further. And thank you for taking the time to read this letter.

Sincerely,

(Exceedingly Well-Adjusted)

I would agree with the above edits and also take out the line "The truth is my own fear lead to me not following through on my commitment."

The editting suggestions do make the letter better, but is it possible to arrange a face to face to meeting with the person who interviewed you ? It seems they would have hired you for the position originally, and if other like positions are available and they are/were aware of your qualifications a year ago , it seems they would grant you the same chance at an interview, especially if you demonstrate any benefits from what training or orientation you may have experienced.

The editting suggestions do make the letter better, but is it possible to arrange a face to face to meeting with the person who interviewed you ? It seems they would have hired you for the position originally, and if other like positions are available and they are/were aware of your qualifications a year ago , it seems they would grant you the same chance at an interview, especially if you demonstrate any benefits from what training or orientation you may have experienced.

It's a small company and I'm reasonable certain that the same company President is still in charge of hiring.

I am no expert , but I think a letter to request an interview and then having a face to face meeting would be the best way to handle it, yes?(especially a sales position)

The company is located outside of the coutnry and we never met face to face the first time, so I guess not. It's a highly unconventional arrangement.

One more copyediting suggestion: in the fifth paragraph of #2 change "however" to "but"; this would be both more natural and more grammatical.

(If this is a sales job, a phone call would make a better impression than a letter.)

I would agree with the above edits and also take out the line "The truth is my own fear lead to me not following through on my commitment."

I think he needs the line. It's a moment of candor, which explains what the problem was. Without it, it could look like he's making excuses.

My understanding is that the purpose of the letter is to try to obtain a meeting. I would send the letter, and if you don't receive a reply within a reasonable time, follow up with a phone call.

As you know, I was unable to fulfill my commitment to you last year. It has been an immense regret, and I apologize for taking your time. Although I was always enthusiastic about the position, at the time of my last hiring, I was preoccupied with a worrisome health issue, which I kept to myself, that weighted heavily on my mind and contributed to my uncertainty. I know you have a business to run, and I understand why you withdrew the offer.

Looking back with the clarity of hindsight, the question of my health was not serious enough that it should have prevented me from taking the job. The truth is that I allowed myself to be needlessly inhibited by fear. The total sum of the circumstances—the stress of relocating alone to a strange place for a demanding new job when I was already feeling trepid—led me to question whether I was making the right decision.

I realize that it may be too late now, but I still have a strong desire to sell (Comany Name's) investment products. If you are willing to give me another chance, I am confident in my readiness to undertake the task at this time. I still possess the attributes that you originally hired me for: a passionate belief in (Company Owner's) message, a thorough understanding of his investment strategy, and the ability to successfully promote it. The sales training I received is still very fresh in my mind, and my confidence in my sales acumen and securities knowledge are better than ever. Most importantly, I am completely over any uncertainty. I know I let you down before, but I'd like to make it up to you by bringing money into the bank.

Please let me know if you are interested in discussing this further. And thank you for taking the time to read this letter.

Sincerely,

Exceedingly Well Adjusted

I would send the letter, and if you don't receive a reply within a reasonable time, follow up with a phone call.

I'm considering this suggestion, but if he doesn't reply on his own, woulndn't that indicate that he's not interested? I suppose there would be nothing wrong with a polite phone call, but I might expect a negative response.