Objectivism Online Forum

Things to do in an immortal life

Rate this topic

Lu Norton

If someone discovered the cure for aging , I wonder.. what would an Objectivist do if he/she chose to live a longer/immortal life?

These are the top three in my list :

a. Be an archaeologist

b. Be a professional violin player

c. Go to the moon and explore space

I would learn everything there is to learn about everything worth learning about. I would become a master in every discipline. I would spend a lifetime on each worthy science, art, or skill in existence. :rolleyes:

However, since I am mortal, I cannot do all of the above. The good new is that I can choose one discipline and a few hobbies which to spend my lifetime pursuing and enjoying!

If someone discovered the cure for aging , I wonder.. what would an Objectivist do if he/she chose to live a longer/immortal life?

1.Be the Greatest warrior in the History of the World.

2. Spend my free time looking for my perfect woman

3.Since Ill live forever ill run for preseident every chance I get.

I would finish college.

Seriously though, I would learn about and master every discipline that catches my fancy.

I would cetainly save up a ton (literally) of money. I would build my own spaceship, and explore the cosmos.

As far as stopping the aging process, I hope they do. This is something I want to contribute to but, presently, I am just a middle aged man with a computer and relatively limited knowledge.

I would be very sad and maybe terminally depressed because there are no values if life is immortal.

I think we're talking about the prospect of an unbelievably long life. Not an indestructable robot or the absence of values.

I would start a university in Chile, Colombia, or South Africa. Most likely Colulmbia.

I think we're talking about the prospect of an unbelievably long life.  Not an indestructable robot or the absence of values.

I hope so.

If I had a longer life, I would take on projects that are longer-term than I can manage now at the age of 61, like having more children, and I'd speculate more and invest less. Other than that, I'd pretty much do exactly what I am doing now. I LOVE what I am doing and I could go on like this for a few thousand more years.

Even if we could expand our lifespans, the fact that there are only 24 hours in a day is still my major limiting factor. Now if the scientists could do something about THAT ...

I would be very sad and maybe terminally depressed because there are no values if life is immortal.

Is this what you consider the philosophically correct position or is this what you would really feel? If the latter, are you saying that you enjoy life now, but would not take any medication that would extend it, because that would be anti-life, in a paradoxical way: i.e., in that you earnestness to live is driven by your knowledge of impending death?

See the first post in this thread, the author wrote "if someone found a cure for aging." [Emphasis mine] This dosn't mean that you wouldn't die by being run over by a truck, having a ski accident, or being swarmed by a thousand locusts. It dosn't mean that you wouldn't have to work to feed yourself, clean yourself, and please yourself.

How about just living for 1000 years?

I didn't read the whole article, but I thought the last bit was pretty admirable:

And finally some people are worried that it would mean playing God and going against nature. But it's unnatural for us to accept the world as we find it.

Ever since we invented fire and the wheel, we've been demonstrating both our ability and our inherent desire to fix things that we don't like about ourselves and our environment.

We would be going against that most fundamental aspect of what it is to be human if we decided that something so horrible as everyone getting frail and decrepit and dependent was something we should live with forever.

If changing our world is playing God, it is just one more way in which God made us in His image.

(Or better still, pay someone else to travel and do more interesting things while I wait for him to come back and tell me what he saw.) ^_^

It will be more fulfilling if I will see the space with my own eyes and physically experience the travel.

Even if we could expand our lifespans, the fact that there are only 24 hours in a day is still my major limiting factor.  Now if the scientists could do something about THAT ...

Ditto. There are so many things I'd like to do in parallel, rather than sequentially. Like work full time AND do grad school AND have a social life AND martial arts AND writing AND ...

Until we solve this 24-hour day problem, we're stuck with prioritizing.

After making a few billions in the first decades (or centuries) of my new immortal life, I would buy a remote castle atop a mountain, where I would build the world's largest rare books & antiquities collection. I would master Latin and Greek to a level of fluency, as well as French, German, Italian, Spanish, Russian, and Arabic.

I would study the Koran and Arab mannerisms, and then, disguising myself as an Arab, join a Bedouin caravan and trek the Muslim world from North Africa to China.

Also, as someone else mentioned, I would create scholarships and funds for archaeologists and scholars. As well as chairs for Objectivist or classical liberal professors.

Lastly, I would build a lab with the best scientists on earth to build me Star Trek warp technology, and then explore the universe.

See the first post in this thread, the author wrote "if someone found a cure for aging." [Emphasis mine] This dosn't mean that you wouldn't die by being run over by a truck, having a ski accident, or being swarmed by a thousand locusts. It dosn't mean that you wouldn't have to work to feed yourself, clean yourself, and please yourself.

That should cheer you up.

If someone discovered the cure for aging , I wonder..

I would do everything the same except wait a little while longer (a century or so B) ) before having kids – at which time I could take a break from engineering (find somebody to manage my company) then build or buy and run my own school…

I could manage part time engineering, teaching and parenting (a group of 3 kids every 30 years) until the technology developed to explore space :(