Objectivism Online Forum

You Don’t Believe in God – Disprove Him!

Rate this topic

Isn't this more a case of mis-usage of an operating mind vs. a disease, which prohibits the mind from operating in some fashion?

Mental illness and mental imbalance suggests something is fundamentally wrong outside of the sway of volition.

Choosing to believe something without regard to proper epistemology, does not suggest that a proper epistemology can't be learned and nurtured.

>>>in your heart lies the premise that the universe is unknowable, ineffable and unfathomable; that the human mind is simply impotent to grasp the truly important things. 

LOL! Because I claim that DNA is isomorphic to Morse Code and ASCII and therefore must be the product of intelligent design you claim that I actually believe the universe is unknowable? Where did you come up with that?

Where did I come up with it?  I just don't know.  Your own words:

"I have no actual evidence that X exists, therefore  it behooves me to believe that it does not in fact exist."

"I have no actual evidence that X exists, therefore I'll keep an open mind about it until I'm in a context that requires that I consider the matter further. Until such time, my conclusions about such an assertion shall be 'I just don't know.'"

Are Vulcans real?  Does the planet Krypton exist?  (bear in mind you've never been there)  Does the stock market fluctuate according to the orbit of the Jovan moon, Europa?  (do you know the specifics of Europa's orbit?)  Is Johnny Depp a member of the Illuminati?

There must be many things you just don't know.  (hence the universe is unknowable)  At this very moment, is there a Dragon slumbering beneath your home?  Are your internal organs arranged properly?  Do you have a tumor?

Taken to its logical conclusion, "I just don't know if Oxygen will still be necessary tomorrow."  Have you been to tomorrow, yet?  No?  Then don't bother taking Oxygen into space with you; we don't actually know if you'll need it.

Taken to its logical conclusion, this is a death sentence.  Which is how I know you don't actually believe it, yourself; you're still alive and talking on this forum. (And after all, how do you know we're not aliens who eat Christians for fun?  Wouldn't that prevent you from typing here?  Aren't you making an arbitrary assumption?)

And that's the kicker, there.

When you deny any form of objective knowledge, you are demanding that we live on assumptions.

"I don't know if all of the food in the world is poison, but I'll assume not."

"I don't know if Vulcans exist or not, but I'll assume not."

"I just don't know if God exists or not, but I'll assume He does."

That's your underlying premise and that's your agenda.  You don't want actual scrutiny of anything (or else you would feel perfectly comfortable examining your own beliefs); what you want is the moral justification to be irrational.

This idea is the means you use to achieve it; every child's mind which it destroys is simply collateral damage.

I urge you, for your own selfish sake, to stop and consider this before you reply.

• 1 year later...

Spermatozoon and egg cell don't have souls, whereas an organism born does. Thus, every creature is a living proof of God's essence.

Every organism is endowed with God's essence.  God's essence is essentially God.  Therefore, I am God.

Let me know when you are ready to receive mine instructions.

• 2 weeks later...

To overcome the inherent mediocrity of humanity fully, we will need to give up what it means to be human.  Then, ye shall be as Gods, or the universe is inherently irrational.  Don't believe me?  Have a look for yourself https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10154426870925436&set=a.10153035625955436.1073741826.654950435&type=1&theater