Objectivism Online Forum

Alpha Centauri

Rate this topic

Inspector

This game had a definite interest in Philosophy. I don't think it came down clearly in any camp, but the very fact that it was so intellectual was astounding to me.

Just a few quotes from in-game-sequences:

Resources exist to be consumed. And consumed they will be, if not by this generation then by some future. By what right does this forgotten future seek to deny us our birthright? None I say! Let us take what is ours, chew and eat our fill.

CEO Nwabudike Morgan

"The Ethics of Greed"

You ivory tower intellectuals must not lose touch with the world of industrial growth and hard currency. It is all very well and good to pursue these high-minded scientific theories, but research grants are expensive and you must justify your existence by providing not only knowledge, but concrete and profitable applications as well.

CEO Nwabudike Morgan

"The Ethics of Greed"

Human behavior is economic behavior. The particulars may vary, but competition for limited resources remains a constant. Need as well as greed have followed us to the stars, and the rewards of wealth still await those wise enough to recognize this deep thrumming of our common pulse.

CEO Nwabudike Morgan

"The Centauri Monopoly"

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even five hundred would be pretty nice.

CEO Nwabudike Morgan

MorganLink 3DVision Interview

Man's unfailing capacity to believe what he prefers to be true rather than what the evidence shows to be likely and possible has always astounded me. We long for a caring Universe which will save us from our childish mistakes, and in the face of mountains of evidence to the contrary we will pin all our hopes on the slimmest of doubts. God has not been proven not to exist, therefore he must exist.

Academician Prokhor Zakharov

"For I Have Tasted The Fruit"

Hey, they even have good 'ol Aristotle in that game!

The happy life is thought to be one of excellence; now an excellent life requires exertion, and does not consist in amusement. If Eudaimonia, or happiness, is activity in accordance with excellence, it is reasonable that it should be in accordance with the highest excellence; and this will be that of the best thing in us.

Aristotle

"Nichomachean Ethics"

There are plenty of other quotes from Aristotle, as well as Nietzsche, Plato, Kant (eww), and others. "Atlas Shrugged" is one of the books it recommends for a Morganite victory.

Anyone else familiar with this game?

Yes, I've had this game for a long time now. And it's been one of my favorite strategy games ever since. However, I haven't played it since I discovered Objectivism now that I think of it. I think the Morganites would now be my favorite, before discovering Objectivism I was always playing as the Spartans. It's a great game.