Objectivism Online Forum

On purchased approval -- to sell

Rate this topic

softwareNerd

Actually, with reference to the original post, moralist has not responded at all to the question posed there. He started by talking about people who prey on others becoming victims themselves and otherwise harming themselves.

There are two problems with this response. Firstly, it begs the question. By speaking of "preying" he simply assumes the acts mentioned are immoral -- he never gives any reason for saying why this would qualify as "preying" (i.e. immoral) in the first place. Second, as a lesser issue, having assumed the answer, he speaks about the consequences of immorality: negative consequences to the immoral person -- but, here too does not attempt to prove anything...it is simply an assertion.

"The math" matters a whole lot on a forum. What would be the point of a forum where everyone simply asserted something, with few reasons given? Presumably few members would be here is they were the type who soaked in assertions not backed by reasons.

However, as I said, that's secondary. In the context of this thread, moralist has simply begged the question. I consider his posts to be non-responsive.

While understanding your reasoning SWN I disagree that "preying" is automatically assuming immorality.

I see predation as value neutral with only context imbuing it with morality.

"preying on small children" will generally be charged with an immmoral vibe while "preying on the stupid" could go either way and you have people who prey on predators...

I also totally get why "doing the math" is important in the context of the forum, and agree.

I just think that someone who reaches the right conclusion by the wrong math should be treated helpfully since they at least partially "get it". <<< this statement not meant to accuse anyone of being unhelpful!

While understanding your reasoning SWN I disagree that "preying" is automatically assuming immorality.

I use preying as a perjorative because it is usually associated with the kind of personal gain that only comes from another's loss... which makes that system zero sum.

I see predation as value neutral with only context imbuing it with morality.

"preying on small children" will generally be charged with an immmoral vibe while "preying on the stupid" could go either way and you have people who prey on predators...

Good point.  The Police prey on predators in order to prevent them from preying upon others.

I also totally get why "doing the math" is important in the context of the forum, and agree.

I just think that someone who reaches the right conclusion by the wrong math should be treated helpfully since they at least partially "get it". <<< this statement not meant to accuse anyone of being unhelpful!

I appreciate your kind words.