Objectivism Online Forum

Hello from Canada

Rate this topic

Hello, I hope to have some good input in the near future.  I'm skeptical of the forum, I'm assuming there's lots of people who are trolls and people who aren't understanding objectivism like i am.  I'll mostly be touching on Aristotle.. If you are wondering how I am understanding Objectivism it is mostly coming from the angle from the essays of Philosophy: Who needs It.  The new intellectual is here...

Few trolls here, and they don't stick around.  Different posters have different understandings of Objectivism and interests in different aspects and applications of it, so chances are good that you'll come across people here whose understanding differs from yours.  A final decision will have to await knowing more about what yours is.

What is your interest in Aristotle?  What have you read of his?

Hello, well Ayn Rand did write that you need Aristotle and Aquinas.  What will be invaluable in particular with Aristotle is his work on Logic, the Non Contradiction Law etc, and Metaphysics for now.  I'm very interested in the theoretical inquiry of "what is reality" that modern philosophy is under cutting as Ayn Rand states by Kant and his successors.  On a side note,  I just ordered 2 Leonard Peikoff books, the DIM and the guide to Objectivism, and I can't wait for them to arrive... I'm from the same city Peikoff is from originally :)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, welcome aboard. I didn't run into significant trolls or flamers here, but there may be a few. In any case, my introduction to Objectivism was through a book my father bought called “The Neo-Tech Cosmic Power” which took me some time to digest, but since then I had many other major and minor influences, because I believe that All's Truth is God's Truth and it's important to integrate new ideas, new memes, and new things and advance the philosophical state-of-the-art. Right now I still consider myself an Objectivist (in believing that reality, ethics and logic are all absolute), but I'm no longer Randian, because Randianism, like Biblical Judaism, or classical Stoicism, or even classical Aristotleanism, or whatever now feels passé to me. For more information about me and my philosophy, you can read my works of philosophy and/or fiction on my homepage.