Objectivism Online Forum

****ed up wrists

Rate this topic

Back in October, I fractured my left wrist after a fall when I was running outside. I continued to work and box through it, just using my right hand. I ended up overusing it and since December, my right wrist has been messed up (no fracture), and isn't getting any better.

I took a month off from work, I stopped boxing. Basically I do nothing besides read, run, and school work. I am getting really frustrated because this has messed up my entire life. I am pretty much angry all the time now because I feel so helpless. My doctor thinks it was a ligament tear and gave me a small cast around my thumb and my appointment is the 21st to recheck it.

Boxing is my passion, and it's been 5 months since I've really been able to put my all into it. I lost about 30 pounds of muscle/fat from running everyday - I was at 170 (I'm 5'8/9) before but now I'm down to 140/145. I don't mind because it has helped me with my endurance, but I love weightlifting too. I like running, but I wouldn't call it an interest of mine or my passion.

I just don't know what to do anymore at this point. I am getting tired of waiting for this thing to heal, I am supposed to go back to work at the beginning of April and it is still not better. I get anxiety because it's starting to get warmer out and I had huge plans for the summer. Boxing, basketball, tennis, but I don't know if I will be able to......

On top of that, I end up taking my anger out on other people.... I'm getting so annoyed....

Any suggestions?

Edited by thenelli01

I am going through a similar situation. And it hit me like a freight train despite everything I know. I am Krav Maga instructor and have had chronic shoulder pain for a little over a year, my ortho believes I have a bursa that is pretty much gone. I lead a very active lifestyle and have had a lot of time to work through the frustration of knowing that until I have some form of surgery I will not be able to continue a passion of mine. I have had some life changing events occur during this as well, the pain and inability to physically work off a lot of my aggression has been incredibly frustrating.

I took up a few unhealthy activities over the course of the year that I have since dropped. Over the past month I started dating a massage therapist that has been doing work on my shoulder every couple of days. The pain is there still but the muscles are beginning to loosen up enough that I am regaining some of my range.

As a fighter I am very aware of what you must be going through. I have gained 25lbs, lost speed, lost cardio, and most important some of my sense of identity. I teach people  survival tactics and how to use their natural abilities to know they can handle any situation life throws at them. Or I used to. I want to again. I will again.

I am back down to close to training weight, 180lbs. I am working out my arm again using basic techniques. After a year of real struggle I am beginning to feel like myself again. All that aggression you have is normal, take your time with that and know your gonna fuck up some. Remember why you started fighting in the first

place. I mean fighting, not just boxing. You'll get there.

I am going through a similar situation. And it hit me like a freight train despite everything I know. I am Krav Maga instructor and have had chronic shoulder pain for a little over a year, my ortho believes I have a bursa that is pretty much gone. I lead a very active lifestyle and have had a lot of time to work through the frustration of knowing that until I have some form of surgery I will not be able to continue a passion of mine. I have had some life changing events occur during this as well, the pain and inability to physically work off a lot of my aggression has been incredibly frustrating.

I took up a few unhealthy activities over the course of the year that I have since dropped. Over the past month I started dating a massage therapist that has been doing work on my shoulder every couple of days. The pain is there still but the muscles are beginning to loosen up enough that I am regaining some of my range.

As a fighter I am very aware of what you must be going through. I have gained 25lbs, lost speed, lost cardio, and most important some of my sense of identity. I teach people survival tactics and how to use their natural abilities to know they can handle any situation life throws at them. Or I used to. I want to again. I will again.

I am back down to close to training weight, 180lbs. I am working out my arm again using basic techniques. After a year of real struggle I am beginning to feel like myself again. All that aggression you have is normal, take your time with that and know your gonna fuck up some. Remember why you started fighting in the first

place. I mean fighting, not just boxing. You'll get there.

Yeah man you're spot on, I feel like I lost a part of my identity as well. I feel like I am forgetting who I am sometimes. It did give me a chance to work on my cardio- i just ran 5 miles today...but I just wanna fuckin fight so bad. It was my way to channel my aggression and stress.

It's good that you are getting better. I just wanna figure out what's wrong with it so I can figure out what to do about it - rest, surgery, brace, or time - but the frustrating part is I don't have an exact answer. I may get an MRI.

But we're fighters, it will get better in time. Just the process is the frustrating part. We can still work on our technique at least.

You nailed my exact thoughts, thanks for the response.

Thing is, I can't think of a single professional athlete, or even amateur who takes his sport as seriously as you seem to, who hasn't had to deal with injuries at some point.

You have to realize that injury comes with the course you've chosen. It's a part of it, and you must be prepared to deal with it. Even after you fix this (and odds are proper medical care and/or rest will fix it), you will eventually be injured again. It's unavoidable, if you're pushing yourself (and it's pointless to be passionate about a sport, if you're not pushing yourself). Chronic injuries might be avoided in most sports, but not fractures and strains.

Treat this as a necessary learning experience, not as a tragedy. Look up first person accounts of professional athletes who faced the same problem. They tend to be outspoken about both the frustration of being sidelined, and the ways they've found to deal with it, through experience. I can't really recommend any books (I like athletes, but not enough to read the literature they produce :) ), but maybe someone else here can. The list of athletes who have written about this must be endless. The number one point I have picked up on, over the years, though, is that athletes find recovering from an injury harder work and a bigger challenge than training and playing their sport.

Recovery is something they treat as a new challenge, and as hard work, not something they expect to come automatically. And, in more general terms, health is not a gift from God, it's the result of human effort. Plan your recovery calmly and rationally, just like you would any other project. Accept the negatives that come with the positives. Do or do not; there is no try. When 900 years you will reach, look as good you will not. Women and children can afford to be careless, but not men. This post degenerated into a self indulgent little speech quickly, huh?

Edited by Nicky

Funny, I was gong to say the same thing. Im sure you've heard of Mike Mentzer. He was an interesting man and athlete, if not a "hard line" Oist.

Yeah, I actually came to HIT long before I did to Objectivism, and Mentzer used to come off like a whackjob to me for injecting Ayn Rand into everything he wrote. I only came to Objectivism years later after my interest in economics and political philosophy led me to Rand's works, and now I see that Mentzer was right. It can be a little much for the uninitiated, I guess.

Edited by happiness

• 5 weeks later...

Thing is, I can't think of a single professional athlete, or even amateur who takes his sport as seriously as you seem to, who hasn't had to deal with injuries at some point.

You have to realize that injury comes with the course you've chosen. It's a part of it, and you must be prepared to deal with it. Even after you fix this (and odds are proper medical care and/or rest will fix it), you will eventually be injured again. It's unavoidable, if you're pushing yourself (and it's pointless to be passionate about a sport, if you're not pushing yourself). Chronic injuries might be avoided in most sports, but not fractures and strains.

Treat this as a necessary learning experience, not as a tragedy. Look up first person accounts of professional athletes who faced the same problem. They tend to be outspoken about both the frustration of being sidelined, and the ways they've found to deal with it, through experience. I can't really recommend any books (I like athletes, but not enough to read the literature they produce :) ), but maybe someone else here can. The list of athletes who have written about this must be endless. The number one point I have picked up on, over the years, though, is that athletes find recovering from an injury harder work and a bigger challenge than training and playing their sport.

Recovery is something they treat as a new challenge, and as hard work, not something they expect to come automatically. And, in more general terms, health is not a gift from God, it's the result of human effort. Plan your recovery calmly and rationally, just like you would any other project. Accept the negatives that come with the positives. Do or do not; there is no try. When 900 years you will reach, look as good you will not. Women and children can afford to be careless, but not men. This post degenerated into a self indulgent little speech quickly, huh?

This was good advice. It is important to try to figure out what steps I can take to avoid injuries in the future and how to deal with them better (i.e. better technique, ice and rest). My wrists are much better now, get a bit sore at times, but better. I think the real issue was that I kept clicking them non stop for the past 3 months, which created irritation and prevented healing. Not very smart, I know.