Objectivism Online Forum

Opinions on my Taggart Transcontinental paint scheme

Rate this topic

DAnconiaLead

Greetings,

In addition to being a devotee of Ayn Rand, free market capitalism, limited government, and Constitutionalism, I also enjoy constructing ‘S’-scale (1:64 scale) model trains.

I’m currently in the process of purchasing a used S-scale Amtrak Superliner and F-40PH which currently suffer some minor cosmetic damage.

http://americanmodels.com/_photos/0543-03.jpg

I purchased this train set with the intention of re-painting it for Taggart Transcontinental and adding it to my layout.

I’ve included a mock-up of the paint scheme I plan to use on the F-40PH (the engine) and was wondering if I could get your opinions on it.

Jeffpost-11121-0-53639400-1365384766_thumb.p

SoftwareNerd,

Thank you for correcting my post and bringing my attached picture to the forefront.  Not having posted on this forum before, I thought that an attached picture would appear full-size, as it does on the S-scale Forum and as it does on your post.

I posted the link to American Models to show the equipment I will be repainting.  Actually, now I may be able to add an additional piece of equipment, as a friend of mine, who owns a hobby shop, told me that he as an undecorated (unpainted) F7A that I could use to expand this railroad’s motive power.

This paint scheme would involve painting the engine a very dark gray with either a silver or gold five-strip pattern (similar to the one used on the GG-1’s) running around the engine.  This would not be the gaudy shiny metallic silver or gold, but a gold similar to the color used on Pennsylvania Railroad stripping or the silver used on New York Central stripping (I posted two examples below).  In both cases, the stripping pattern would be like that used on the GG-1’s.

http://www.railpictures.net/images/d1/7/9/6/9796.1255559237.jpg

http://farm5.staticflickr.com/4058/4279097801_41eb40e133_z.jpg

The railroad name, Taggart Transcontinental, would appear in the PRR Gold color regardless of the color of the stripes, and an additional set of interlocking TT’s would appear on the nose.

Finally, the engine’s recording marks, TT 1957 would appear in white (as dictated by the FRA), under the cab windows.

Sorry for any confusion.

Jeff

This link in the post is to the set the member purchased. Then, near his signature is he link to his planned paint scheme.

post-1227-0-76034700-1365458478.png

attachicon.gifCapture.PNG

Intellectual Ammo,

I’m already working on a model of the two Galt Stations (1 for freight, the other passenger), for which I’m using the REAL GALT STATIONS, located in the former Canadian town of Galt, Ontario (which later merged with Cambridge, Ont.)as prototypes.  In reality, the Galt Passenger Station has become a commuter station and the Galt Freight Station has become a reality office.  On my layout, I intend to show the Galt Passenger Station serving Taggart Transcontinental, AMTK, VIA, and the ARR as many passenger platforms currently serve more than one railroad.  As for the Galt Freight Station, I intend to show it being leased by the firm of Roark Architectural Designs (“freight stations” having been surpassed by container yards and direct spurs).

I also have some White Pass and Yukon, narrow gauge, equipment and, while waiting for some of my mine structure kits to come off back order, am already building D’Anconia Lead (a D’Anconia Resources Corp.) equipment for the mine that will be served by the WPY.

Finally, in the future, I intend to build a model of the crumbling remains of the 20 Century Motor Works, with Mark Levin’s bunker cleverly hidden under the brick and steal of these non-descript buildings (and I'll be sure to put a motor inside one of the bildings that appears to be turning without external power)….

Jeff

This reminds me of an old thread of mine:

http://forum.objectivismonline.com/index.php?showtopic=22714

Edited by DAnconiaLead

If you want an example of a truly great historical passenger station, consider Union station in Kansas City Missouri. The cost, in today's dollars, to build that station is about one billion. It was built by a consortium of eleven RR companies and they spared no expense. Having a 95 foot tall vaulted ceiling, it is a cathedral to the productive capacity of RR's in 1914. At it's peak, it served a half-million passengers per year, so it was a productive building too. Of course, it is an anachronism today.

While the Galt Station isn’t on par with Kansas City’s Union Station, it has a name that appeals to me, will fit on my modular layout, and can be built by combining the parts from several Wiseman Model Services Station kits (I placed a custom order, because it would have taken 5 kits to get the correct number of certain parts and only 1 to get another part).

While I didn’t have luck with this before, I’m attaching the photos I have of the Galt Stations, enjoy;

post-11121-0-40521000-1365552761_thumb.j

post-11121-0-77494500-1365552773_thumb.j

post-11121-0-40552100-1365552796_thumb.j

post-11121-0-52779100-1365552812_thumb.p

post-11121-0-68050400-1365552830_thumb.j

post-11121-0-08274500-1365552846_thumb.j

There's a lot about the Mullan Pass Train Tunnel outside of Helena, MT that makes me wonder if AR might have known something about it and used aspects of it's history as inspiration for the tunnel scene in AS. Not only have people died in that tunnel from smoke inhalation but there's also the remains of the old switch back rail bed that was used to get over the divide before the tunnel was put in. And it was once put back into service for a while while they cleared a partial tunnel collapse. Got a friend that lives about 5 miles from it and I've spent some time exploring around up there and reading some of the local history books he's got in his library.

Also I've always wonder about D'Annconia Copper being some what of a reference to the real life Anaconda Copper Company of Butte, MT. There's a book called "The Copper Kings" that I found to be a pretty interesting read.

One last random thought... Rand's descriptions of "Rearden Metal" in AS have always made me think think that she was making lose reference to Titanium. My guess would be that Rearden Metal (if it actually existed) would be a HSLA type classification steel that has Titanium as it's primary alloying element.

Edited by AbA

• 1 month later...

AbA,

I’m actually hoping to, one day, construct an MOW rail transporter loaded with Rearden Metal rails.

Since the rails themselves are considerably longer then a single flatcar, racks are affixed to several flatcars, which secure multiple layers of rails at one end, and allow them to slide in and out of U-bolt rings along the rest of the rails length.

This set-up allows the rails to flex and curve as the multi-unit rail car negotiates curves en-route the rails destination.

Here’s a picture of one such car;

http://www.railengineer.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/BNSF-Kasgro-rail-train-inspection-156.jpg

http://www.railengineer.com/engineeringservices/kasgro-bnsf-flat-car-project/

Since no metal possesses the elasticity to do this over and over, without de-railing the train, on a model scale, when I get around to making this car, I’ll use rail shaped plastic and paint it blue-green, thus creating Rearden Metal rails!!!