Objectivism Online Forum

Boston Marathon Explosions

Rate this topic

Don't say "jihadi" or Muslim"! Support the evil ideals of political correctness, multiculturalism, diversity, inclusion, democracy, and peace at all costs! This has all the hallmarks of a Muslim jihadi attack -- but for the love of god, please, no-one say it! The attack occurred about 40 minutes ago, and I've been monitoring it on radio and TV for over 30 minutes now, and thus far not ONE radio or television news reporter has mentioned the term "jihadi" or Muslim".      

Don't say "jihadi" or Muslim"!

Why would a media outlet speculate this early. They hardly even know what happened, let alone speculate about motives etc. Would such mentions be "news" in any sense? Would they add to anyone's knowledge or information about anything? If there were some specific recent threats and so on, then that would be news. Otherwise, it makes sense to report what is known.

Still no mention of Islam that I've heard. Bob Schieffer of CBS News said 5 minutes ago "We don't know who did this or why." The dishonestly, cowardice, and depravity regarding the War On Islam is unending.

It is clearly a terrorist attack, but I wouldn't call them cowardice or dishonest for not mentioning Islam. Their job is to report the facts as they come in, not speculate on religious groups or motives on an attack that is as recent as this one.

Not all terrorists are jihadists, Garshasp, let alone muslim.The only thing you've done is rush towards a conclusion in what may as well be racism. What would be dishonest is saying people know why - which you are doing. Take off the tinfoil hat, the media probably knows as much as you about this. How do you know in fact that a jihadist did it?

Would also like to add that some in the media are wildly speculating: they are desperately trying to find a link to Patriots Day celebrations in Mass, commemorating the first battles of the Revolutionary War.

References, please?

I also dislike the term terrorist. I even more dislike the phrase "War on Terrorism". I wrote about it in one of my papers about Bush's "War on Terrorism" in my philosophy class a few years ago. The word terrorist is too broad of a word to describe these people. Using such an ill-defined word to define a war and these monsters is a poor way to represent what we are fighting and what our objectives are.

Edited by thenelli01

For what you said in #5 : "some in the media are wildly speculating: they are desperately trying to find a link to Patriots Day celebrations in Mass, commemorating the first battles of the Revolutionary War."

Next question.

Relevant information (declassified DHS document about Al Qaeda's use of pressure cooker bombs, from 2010):

http://www.scribd.com/doc/136274956/Department-of-Homeland-Security-2010-Warning-on-Pressure-Cookers

For what you said in #5 : "some in the media are wildly speculating: they are desperately trying to find a link to Patriots Day celebrations in Mass, commemorating the first battles of the Revolutionary War."

Next question.

You misunderstood my first question. I asked "what for", as in "why". To ask what I'm supposed to reference, I would've had to say "For what?".

My question was: What possible purpose would it serve for me to waste my time searching for and linking media articles containing speculation?

Edited by Nicky

Very well, then.  My answer to "what for?" in the sense you meant it is that this would give your assertion some credibility, and most of us value credibility.

By the way, I found some: http://www.glennbeck.com/2013/04/16/without-evidence-media-blames-right-for-bombing/?utm_source=Daily&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=2013-04-16_213369&utm_content=5506197&utm_term=_213369_213379.

Out of curiosity, since I don't remember having seen you say so before, why do you dislike "terrorist"?  (And what term would you prefer?)

I can't think of another term :)  Also, it would be pointless because "terrorist" is so established. I'm fine with the concept itself, when used 99% of the time, but every now and then a commentator will try ti stretch the concept to cover person X who is "terrorizing" some group of people. The term tempts us to think that "terrorist" is "someone who terrorizes others", but that's not a good definition for the concept. So, that's my -- little -- criticism. 

Very well, then.  My answer to "what for?" in the sense you meant it is that this would give your assertion some credibility, and most of us value credibility.

It's fine to tell me you don't believe me. It's not fine to tell me that no one believes me. 

I think my word is credible enough, for some. My post provides that value, of credibility, to those people. Everyone else is more than welcome to look for it themselves. My purpose on this forum isn't to convince you that I'm credible. That may be of value to you, but it's of no value to me.

It's one thing to provide references to someone looking to understand more of what I'm saying, or even to settle a debate about some complex issue, and it's another thing to provide references just to prove that I'm not lying about something as simple as "A said X".

Edited by Nicky

I think investigators must already have pretty much made up their mind on what kind of people did this. They US government has  investigated enough bombings to know who's bomb this probably was, at this point. They're just waiting for more evidence before they bring it to the public.

Here's some good information just released:

" BOSTON — Investigators poring over photos and video from the Boston Marathon bombing have a department-store surveillance-camera image of a man dropping off a bag at the scene of the one of the blasts, a top city politician said Wednesday.

City Council President Stephen Murphy, who said he was briefed by members of the Boston Police Department, said he does not know if investigators know the man's name. He said officers are chasing leads that could take them to the suspect.

"They may be on the verge of arresting someone and that's good," he said.

Separately, a law enforcement official who spoke to The Associated Press on condition of anonymity and was not authorized to discuss the case publicly confirmed only that investigators had an image of a potential suspect but did not know his identity.

The twin bomb blasts Monday near the finish line of the world's most famous foot race killed three people and wounded more than 170, tearing off limbs in a hail of shrapnel.

Law enforcement agencies pleaded for the public to come forward with photos, videos or any information that might help them solve the case, and they gathered surveillance video from businesses around the finish line.

The bombs are believed to have been fashioned out of ordinary kitchen pressure cookers packed with explosives, nails, ball bearings and metal shards designed to maim. Investigators suspect the bombs were hidden in black duffel bags and left on the ground.

As a result, they were looking for images of someone lugging a dark, heavy bag."

http://www.wpxi.com/news/ap/crime/fbi-appeals-for-help-solving-marathon-bombings/nXNzd/

Edited by intellectualammo