Objectivism Online Forum

Violators, reports, feedback?

Rate this topic

I see a continuing problem. A few individuals violate rules. A few others use the REPORT function to report the violations. Moderators, who must use judgment in applying Forum Rules, may or may not take action. The problem arises in that the person reporting the problem -- or any other member reading the thread -- has no feedback about action taken, if any.

If the software allows it (it may not), would members like to have the warning status of every member visible to every other member? (Now, each member sees only his own warning status, and the comments that led to an increase; but every moderator sees all of them.)

If this is not possible with current software, or is not desirable, what other way can concerned members get feedback about what action moderators are taking -- or not taking -- to solve problems?

P. S. -- Here are some other facts to consider:

(1) Moderators assign themselves threads to review. There is no assurance that every thread is reviewed by a moderator, and likewise some threads may be reviewed by more than one moderator.

(2) Moderators may respond to a violation in a variety of ways such as sending a PM with merely a suggestion or caution about future violations; or issuing a formal warning that stays with the member's record; or calling for continuing moderator scrutiny of a particular violator; or outright banning of the member. Members have no visibility of this staircase of possible actions and which action, if any, a moderator has actually taken about a violation.

If the software allows it (it may not), would members like to have the warning status of every member visible to every other member?

Yes, I would. In and by itself that would represent a sort of feedback to us on the actions of the moderators.

Also, because of his reasonable perspective, I am glad that Burgess is an active moderator, and I would encourage activating his earlier suggestions to make communication between moderators, and between moderators and members, more easily facilitated.

Although things do not always happen as swiftly as I would like, I have to say that overall this board is running much more smoothly than I had expected. Thanks to those who make it so.

If the software allows it (it may not), would members like to have the warning status of every member visible to every other member?
Yes.
Also, because of his reasonable perspective, I am glad that Burgess is an active moderator, and I would encourage activating his earlier suggestions to make communication between moderators, and between moderators and members, more easily facilitated.
I, too, think Burgess is a good moderator. If the software will not allow the warning bars to be shown in public, or it does not allow an efficient back channel for moderators, then I would like people not to forget this post:
Hey all you capitalists!

I see a continuing problem. A few individuals violate rules. A few others use the REPORT function to report the violations. Moderators, who must use judgment in applying Forum Rules, may or may not take action. The problem arises in that the person reporting the problem -- or any other member reading the thread -- has no feedback about action taken, if any.

If I'm the one taking the action on a report, I always send a PM to the person who alleges a violation telling them their concern has been addressed. This alleviates the shortcomings, if any, of the report function. Generally speaking, I'm not specific as to the action taken, because as I see it, it really doesn't matter. Either the violator will curtail their activity, follow the instructions given in the warning, or they won't. If they choose not to, further action needs to be taken. I can see sometimes that it may be appropriate to give the complainant more information regarding what action is taken, but generally correcting the behavior is the important part.

That said, I would not have objections to the warning ratings being made viewable by all members.