Objectivism Online Forum

if you had to live in one foreign country

Rate this topic

Zoso

NY will jack your money if you are rich. My dad is far from rich, and he pays about 40% of his income to taxes. Parts of NYC, and it's outskirts (like the Palisades) are pretty rich. I just can't stand how it looks at this time of the year. The snow mixed with dirt, garbage, and horrible roads is terrible looking.

In any of the boroughs of NYC (Manhattan, Brooklyn, Queens, etc.), you pay federal, state and city taxes. Ouch. Just as an example I looked up the 2004 NY taxes on $50,000 taxable income and they are: state=6%, city=3.4%. I lived in Brooklyn, and in many ways I felt I was paying too high a price to live there... for what I got.

I might try it again if I were wealthy and could afford one of the $2000-$4000/mo apartments somewhere nice in Manhattan.

Although NYC is certainly a great place to visit, and I look forward to going back some time.

As a native Texan myself, I'd certainly go back home on a mere moment's notice. I'm considering moving back to go to college there. It gets too cold up here in Virginia for me. And while Texas hasn't been a free country in quite a long time, it's a culture and society all its own. But since Texas doesn't count, I'd have to pick somewhere that speaks English and has a fast-paced culture that can keep up with me. Years of life in the backwoods leaves a desire to find a niche with high population density.

I second the pick of Australia or England - leaning Australia for political preference and warmer climate.

An interesting observation on Canada and New Zealand is that all the lefties want to go there. They get enshrined for their welfare system (Canada) or environmental policies (NZ) or any other number of pet lefty regulations. And for all the hassle of being taxed to support welfare bums or banning dihydrogen monoxide, I could put up with that crap in a smaller amount here in the states.