Objectivism Online Forum

Super Bowl

Rate this topic

If you're a Dolphin fan like I am, there's not much to look forward to for the Super Bowl this year.

On the bright side, New England Patriots' kicker Adam Vinitieri's favorite book is Atlas Shrugged:

http://www.lowellsun.com/Stories/0,1413,10...2649112,00.html

It that enough to make me change my loyalties to this AFC East rival team? Well, maybe for one game. (Besides, as bad as the Dolphins were this year, they did beat the Patriots, and it would be nice to at least be able to say "we beat the Super Bowl Champs this year".)

If you're a Dolphin fan like I am, there's not much to look forward to for the Super Bowl this year.

On the bright side, New England Patriots' kicker Adam Vinitieri's favorite book is Atlas Shrugged:

http://www.lowellsun.com/Stories/0,1413,10...2649112,00.html

It that enough to make me change my loyalties to this AFC East rival team? Well, maybe for one game. (Besides, as bad as the Dolphins were this year, they did beat the Patriots, and it would be nice to at least be able to say "we beat the Super Bowl Champs this year".)

On a similar note, I remember when I was a child I had a poster of John Elway taped on my door that came out of some kid's sports magazine. On the back it listed some of John Elway's likes and dislikes, his favorite book was also Atlas Shrugged.

Go Eagles!

Ayn Rand is funny. You don't hear about her very often in our culture, but every now and then you find her influence, spreading, ever so silently, and no amount of demonization will stop Objectivism. I honestly believe that we are on the verge of a new era in human philosophical development, and Ayn Rand was the catalyst.

I honestly believe that we are on the verge of a new era in human philosophical development, and Ayn Rand was the catalyst.

If only it were true. I have a hard time believing it though...all you have to do is have a conversation with the average American to see that it ain't happening any time soon.

I think that has mainly to do with the fact that western thought has been dominated by mystic Christian philosophy for the longest time. It isn't an easy task to undo 2000 years of philosophical development, but by golly we gotta start somewhere. science has always prevailed over mysticism, I see no reason for it to stop now.

This is why I think Kelley and Brandon should take a hike. Tolerance is saction, if we give sanction to mysticism, we perpetuate it. No thanks, I think 2000 years is enough time.

I honestly believe that we are on the verge of a new era in human philosophical development, and Ayn Rand was the catalyst.

If only it were true.  I have a hard time believing it though...all you have to do is have a conversation with the average American to see that it ain't happening any time soon.

Cultural revolutions are made by philosophers and intellectuals, NOT by "average Americans." When we get to the point where Objectivism influences the conversation of average Americans, our victory will be complete.

It happened again! I was in my room the other day and the sophomore of the guard came into my room to deliver a message. His eyes wandered to my bookshelf and he remarked "wow, Atlas Shrugged, Fountainhead, and Capitalism the unknown ideal all right next to each other." my reply was "You a fan of Ayn Rand?"

his response? "I love Ayn Rand"

Perhaps the irrationalists sentimentality that Objectivism is a cult comes from the fact that it is quickly becoming a sleeper hit. The mainstream does not appreciate it's message, but slowly it is infiltrating (for lack of a better term) the lives of millions. You might see a person on the street that you do not know is an Objectivist, but bring their love of Ayn Rand to light as soon as her name is mentioned. I really can't wait till my "Who is John Galt" shirt comes in. Betsy I believe has seen this, I recall her telling stories of her car having Ayn Rand stickers on it and people honk and hold up Ayn Rand books as they drive by.

oh yeah, and I would add to my follow up statement that human development has also had the displeasure of experiencing Immanual Kant. If one man is capable of undermining this new movement, it would be the Kantians.

I don't think anyone can stop us.Even the Kantians. Once a true idea is let out it can not be put back in the box. It will eventually sweep the world because it's true and good. One day we will all be remembered for our contributions to reason like we now honor the ancient Greeks.

By the way-- Go Eagles!

Edited by Rational_One

I don't think anyone can stop us.Even the Kantians. Once a true idea is let out it can not be put back in the box. It will eventually sweep the world because it's true and good. One day we will all be remembered for our contributions to reason like we now honor the anchient Greeks.

By the way-- Go Eagles!

my sentiments exactly, right down to your statement about the Eagles :)

I don't think anyone can stop us.Even the Kantians.

ESPECIALLY the Kantians. What do they have to offer people that nearly as good as what we've got?

Once a true idea is let out it can not be put back in the box. It will eventually sweep the world because it's true and good.

Absolutely! Talk about your competive advantage! We've got it all.