Objectivism Online Forum

New York City

Rate this topic

AwakeAndFree

Three things I can recommend in NYC, since I did all of them today (celebrating my 1 year anniversary dating my girlfriend):

1. The Rose Center at the Museum of Natural History. The Museum itself is pretty cool, especally if you're like me in never having gotten over your awe at just how BIG dinosaurs are! ;) But for me, the real treat was taking in two shows at the Rose Center planetarium. Admission, with two shows included, is a bit under $30, and marginally cheaper if you have a student ID.

2. I took up the earlier suggestion of Lombardi's, and I'm ready to second it now. The first thing I noticed was that they have the best water I've ever tasted. However, the waitress claimed it was just NYC tap water... I was ready to toss out the contents of my Poland Springs bottle and ask them to fill it from the tap. But then the pizza came, and it was a more than worthy companion to the water. It really is the best pizza I've had in town. ($14.50 for a large pizza, though.)

Also, Don Giovanni's has great pasta. It's located somewhere around Times Square, don't remember exactly where.

3. If you like comedy clubs, NYC has a lot of them. We went to Dangerfield's, and it was well worth the $15 cover charge. (And, if you go to the website, you can get a coupon for 2-for-1 admission.) The set lasted from 10:30 to about 1:00. The best comic of the night was "Spanky". If he's there when you're in town, GO. My face still hurts from laughing so much.

The downside of Dangerfield's is that they jack you for drinks. Beer was $6.50 to $7.50, mixed drinks were $12 each. Needless to say, I chugged water for hours (since I'm a cheapass). On the upside, though, most comedy clubs have a two drink minimum, and Dangerfield's doesn't. So if you want to make it a fairly inexpensive night, it's possible.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Matt,

Congratulations on your anniversary! ;)

If we'll both find the time maybe we can finally meet! I'll send you an e-mail after I get a better grasp of my schedule for this visit.

The pizza sounds good! So does the comedy clubs, actually.

This visit seems more exciting by the minute. ;)

Thanks, Eran. It was a great day. Definitely looking forward to meeting you.

Oh, and by the way: be careful where you sit in a comedy club. If you sit near the front, you run a big risk of getting picked on by the comedians. It's usually good-natured, and it might make it a better show for you. But it's not always so good-natured. Just be prepared. ;)

I completely forgot about comedy clubs, I second Dangerfield's. Went there twice, great comics both times, and funky without being tight-as-sardines.

For pizza, I would recommend John's, at 278 Bleeker St. It's a village legend, cheap and very casual.

Coldstone Creamery is an ice cream place right by Times Square (there might be other locations)--it's ice cream and performance rolled into one. You pick your ice cream flavor, then decide which kind of add-ins you'd like, from Snickers to brownies to three kinds of nuts...

You can find sunset and moonrise times here:

http://aa.usno.navy.mil/data/docs/RS_OneDay.html

Matt--I think NYC has great tap water. Westchester, too (they use the same supply). Anywhere else, I drink bottled or filtered water, but whenever I visit my mom in Westchester, I go straight to the sink.

Eran, when you get back, you'll have to give us a minute-by-minute account of which suggestions you acted on!

Matt--I think NYC has great tap water. Westchester, too (they use the same supply). Anywhere else, I drink bottled or filtered water, but whenever I visit my mom in Westchester, I go straight to the sink.

Even filtered, Jersey water tastes like a used urinal. I'm convinced that New York tap water must be filtered through gold and roses. It was mindblowing.

mmm... my engineering friend who did his senior project at upenn on the quality of nyc tap water tells me that he boils his nyc tap water first before ever putting it near his lips. he says it's full of chemicals to make it taste "aesthetically" pleasing, but the filtering process which it's subjected to is one of the worst in the country.

Carla,

I'm taking my laptop with me, so I'll even keep you posted while in NYC. :wacko:

I think in most countries drinking tap water is suicidal. The one exception is Rome, where the tap water come straight from the Alps. It's freezing cold even in the middle of summer! Rome's water are so sweet you can drink them as a soft drink. ;)

Florence's water are good, but not as good. And Israel's tap water are impossible to drink, and dangerous too.

Even filtered, Jersey water tastes like a used urinal.  I'm convinced that New York tap water must be filtered through gold and roses.  It was mindblowing.

I have no idea what you’re talking about. There are days when the chlorine content of my water is so high, taking a shower is like swimming in a public pool.

On your list of buildings to visit along with the Empire, check out the Chrysler Building right next to Grand Central. Ten blocks or so north of Grand Central are a couple more architecturally significant buildings in NYC. The Seagram Building at Park and 53rd is Mies Van der Rohe’s only building in the city. The Four Seasons Restaurant is in that building if you’re so inclined, but I prefer the relaxed atmosphere of the Brasserie on the north side of Seagram’s. Across the street is the Lever House.

mmm...  my engineering friend who did his senior project at upenn on the quality of nyc tap water tells me that he boils his nyc tap water first before ever putting it near his lips.  he says it's full of chemicals to make it taste "aesthetically" pleasing, but the filtering process which it's subjected to is one of the worst in the country.

I had always heard that NYC had good-quality water, but perhaps that was just hearsay.

Eran--Terrific! Have a great time. I'll be in the city for a bit this weekend, and if I remember/come upon anything else I think is a "must," I'll post again.

This post will prove useful to me as well, as I'm attempting to arrange a trip to New York City as well at the end of the summer with a friend (and staying with one of his friends). Besides general things to do, I have a particular question for people that might be familiar with the NYC area. If anyone happens to know, could you tell me if this is a decent neighborhood to be staying in?

http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?locat...S&addtohistory=

apparently it's just across the williamsburg bridge from Manhattan. I don't know the area, because I've been in New York City less than one full day, so if anyone has any advice whatsoever about whether it's safe down there, I would appreciate it :)

Just letting you know - I'm now in the US.

Didn't have time to really do anything yet. I've just had time to see the Empire States building for a couple of minutes, and then I went back to Penn Station.

Today I'll try to go sightseeing.

Thanks for all your lovely advice!

--Eran.

• 2 months later...

Hello Everyone.

I'm going to arrive in NYC from Israel before the end of this month - with intentions to stick around. I will be looking for good people to hang out with.

Last time I asked people here for advice on where to go in NYC as a tourist, and that thread was a big success.

So this time I'm asking: Can anyone recommend good Objectivist clubs, or meeting places in or around New York?

Are there any longtime members here who are living in the greater New York area?

Let me know! :confused:

--Eran.

Eran,

Yes. So far, all of our events are going to be held on the NYU campus (which encircles Washington Square Park). Our meetings are on the outskirts of the campus.

Hope to meet you some time this semester!

Betsy,

Those are the colors, however, on the computer I created the website on and the ones I've tested it on the type has been readable.

But, thanks for the heads up. I'll be changing the color schemes sometime during the next 1-2 weeks.