New York City

Rate this topic

AwakeAndFree

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Walker,

Good to see that you're rehabilitating the NYU Objectivist club. When I was attending NYU a couple years ago the former creature running it morphed it into a "let's criticize Ayn Rand and ARI club" featuring Sciabarra as spiritual mentor.

Please tell me Sciabarra's not still involved.

Walker,

Good to see that you're rehabilitating the NYU Objectivist club. When I was attending NYU a couple years ago the former creature running it morphed it into a "let's criticize Ayn Rand and ARI club" featuring Sciabarra as spiritual mentor.

Please tell me Sciabarra's not still involved.

West,

The club you experienced, although we are officially the same NYU club, has been <b>completely</b> changed. Last year a student who was as dissatisfied as you were with the club found other real objectivists (i.e. anti-TOC, anti-libertarian, pro-ARI), and brought a case against the old club management to the SAB to have us given control over the club.

We lost the case (primarily because the SAB saw both groups as Objectivists and basically told us to get along). So, since we didn't have official club status we met at an Au Bon Pain regularly, figured out a loop hole in the NYU club red tape that allowed us to put together an event (Affirmative Action debate w/ Dr. Binswanger), and had a wonderful semester.

At the end of the semester, the creature you referenced - after letting the official club stagnate for 2 semesters - gave us the club. We hit the ground running and are currently in the beginning of what is going to be an awesome semester.

Sciabarra is not, and never will be, involved with OC@NYU.

• 3 months later...

I will be vacationing in New York from the 18th to the 26th for the first time next week.

Aside from the classic landmarks (I got a copy of “NYC for Dummies” to guide me) are there any current activities/places I should see?

I would also like to meet some Objectivists while I’m visiting. Anyone here live in NYC?

Related threads:

http://forum.ObjectivismOnline.com/index.php?showtopic=1142

http://forum.ObjectivismOnline.com/index.php?showtopic=1654

David,

I'd be happy to meet you, and maybe we can arrange a meeting with some other guys, like MinorityOfOne. Contact me if you're interested.

In New York I enjoy visiting Battery Park, where you can look into the ocean and see the statue of liberty. You can also go on the Staten Island ferry, which is pretty impressive.

The view from the Empire State building is a likely basis for a new religion. Thou shall not miss it.

And I don't know why exactly, but I really enjoy visiting F.A.O Schwartz toy store at 5th and 58th.

The rest has been said before.

Cheers!

• 8 months later...

Hey all,

I'm headed to New York in a week and am wondering if there are any likeable Objectivist New Yorkers out there who might like to get together for drinks and/or dancing. I know a few people out there already but am hoping to meet others. I am considering moving out there next summer and would love to chat about pros & cons and different neighborhoods. If you want to know more about me, you can look at my intro on here (from way back when)

http://forum.ObjectivismOnline.com/index.p...c=730&hl=ramare

or send me a personal message.

Rachael

(Fixed url-link -sNerd)

Edited by softwareNerd

GAH!! The only person I knew of in New York just got booted back to Israel for a while. And he asked me to find him a girlfriend, too. Nuts. There's an Objectivist club there he used to attend, though, likely you can hook up with them.

Here is the gentleman's site, in any case.

The forum has a few people from NYC, none of whom I know personally, unfortunately.

Also...

This earlier thread and this one are about things to do in NYC. Also check out this thread and this one too.

In the longer-term, you might be interested in checking out Dianne Durante's Forgotten Delights site.

• 4 months later...

• The NYU Club appears quite active, because they're always announcing events.
  • You just missed Lee Stanstead's Feb 4th tour of the Met ("Romance at the Met"). From the photo I saw, it was well-attended. If you subscribe at his web-site, you'll get notifications of his upcoming events.
  • This post has geographical locations of some forum members. Not up to date, but a starting point.
  • Finally, if you go to the Member's list on the forum, go to the bottom of the page and click on "Toggle More Options", then select "NewYork" from the list of States, you'll get a list of memebrs in the state. In their profiles, you might see that they're in NYC

Welcome to the forum.

Good luck.

I'm moving out there this summer. Anyone have any thoughts on whether it's feasible to park a moving truck in Queens or Brooklyn & do the move with a friend, rather than using movers? I don't know where I'm moving to yet, and I'm trying to figure out what the best way is to do this.

I'm moving out there this summer. Anyone have any thoughts on whether it's feasible to park a moving truck in Queens or Brooklyn & do the move with a friend, rather than using movers? I don't know where I'm moving to yet, and I'm trying to figure out what the best way is to do this.

It's awesome that you're moving here. Whether you can park depends on the area, but you should be ok so long as the truck stops moving once it's parked :). I know some of brooklyn pretty well, so if you know where you'll be, i might be able to answer your question

• 3 weeks later...

i'll be moving to NYC soon as well. looking for apts this weekend. will likely be in the downtown/financial area. hopefully, i'll have something to move in during april. will definitely be up to meeting others. we have a small group here in CT that i'll miss.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

This thread seems to have died out a bit ago, but now that it's July I'm living in NYC, subletting & looking for my own place. If any real Objectivist in the area wants to chat/meet up with a fun 27-year-old girl who's been an Objectivist for going on nine years now (ohh so old), send me a message. Rationalists, anti-body people, and Kelley-ites need not apply. Love dancing to industrial/goth music a plus. :-)

• 3 weeks later...
I will be visiting New York (the city) this summer. Do you guys know any things you can recommend to go see, or visit, or whatever? :thumbsup:

The American Museum of Natural History. And my favorite Chinese restaurant on Bayard St, New Green Bo. Order the 'tiny buns...' Also, if you can get into the new World Trade 7 it's a really cool building. I don't know if tourists can go up to higher floors or not.

I'm in Newark, so if anyone wants to get together for some social events in Hoboken or New York City in the second half of August send me a PM. I have break from Aug 18 to Sept 4 from grad school and won't really have a chance to get out much during the term.

- John

• 5 months later...
Ah, too bad. I will not be there in time to see the Declaration of Independence.

Nevermind. It sounds like two weeks will be too short a time anyway to see all these wonderful places. Actually, a lifetime sounds just about right. ;)

This thread is becoming more and more interesting - don't quit writing!

A great casual eatery is Benny's Burritos across from washington sq park on 9th st . Don't make eye contact with anyone when you cross the park though (smile) ( was also known as needle park) Also a great Organic Vegetarian place on 6th right off 2nd ave is Caravan of Dreams . You 'll meet many local people there. Both of these locations are in the East Village.

The zoo at central Park is fun...enter 59th st by the plaza and stay right along the path.

Empire state building especially if they still have the guiness world book of records exhibit there, if not pass.

South street seaport bodies exhibit

If you like books....New York public library is awesome. It's massive

whatever you do DON"T go to the statue of Liberty...you have to walk up like 1,000,000,000,000,000 etc steps for a 2 sec viewing.

Good Luck and Enjoy

It's awesome that you're moving here. Whether you can park depends on the area, but you should be ok so long as the truck stops moving once it's parked :). I know some of brooklyn pretty well, so if you know where you'll be, i might be able to answer your question

You can Double Park a moving van for the duration of the move, but not overnight.

• 4 weeks later...

lol, I remember one of the times that I visited the Statue of Liberty I was going up all those stairs all the way to the torch! it was so fun. (probably cause I was a kid then and did it with others my age)

anyone know which radio station has anything remotely objectivist? I listen to 770 WABC, and 710 WOR, and although I agree with *some* things... well anyone know any?