Objectivism Online Forum

Tech help please!

Rate this topic

Tryptonique

My quandary is simple:

I have a really really cool song that I wish to convert from .m4a to WMA or MP3.

I don't need help playing the file as frankly, I prefer WMA to most other forms of audio compressing (Monkeys Audio and OGG are also pretty good as well). I just would like to have the file in Mp3 form.

Does anyone know a good *free* or shareware program that would let me convert the file?

-Evan

My quandary is simple:

I have a really really cool song that I wish to convert from .m4a to WMA or MP3.

I don't know the answer; but have you checked with the vendor that you bought the song from? Since MP3 is pretty standard, it's hard to imagine that they don't have an MP3 version that you could get under the same terms as the license under which you got the song in M4A format. And to put it another way, did you check the conditions of the license -- is it moral for you to change the format of the file?

All I can say is: Good luck. You may end up spending a bundle on a full version of a program. The other day, I wanted to save all of the Prodos Radio interviews (which were saved as RM, Real Media) as mp3, and I spent a few hours downloading all of the programs that came up on Google searches. Most of them only let you convert the first 30 seconds if they were trial versions. I did find a good converter, and the site in which I downloaded it was TuCows.com. Unfortunately, I didn't come across any M4A converters on my scan of the internet, but the site may have what you're looking for.

I don't know the answer; but have you checked with the vendor that you bought the song from? Since MP3 is pretty standard, it's hard to imagine that they don't have an MP3 version that you could get under the same terms as the license under which you got the song in M4A format. And to put it another way, did you check the conditions of the license -- is it moral for you to change the format of the file?

*laughs.*

No worries there, amigo.

The music is done by a band I'm very good friends with. In fact, the bassist sent me the music in m4a format because it is higher quality than mp3. I spent 2 nights with him about 2 weeks ago and one night with the drummer when I visited them in Fresno, California. I have known them for 2 years or so now and they are really cool guys which is why I was hooked up with unpublished demo versions of songs that the general public doesn't have access to.

the band is called Camera

www.garageband.com/camera <---I actually set up that page about 2 years ago and did a bunch of other stuff to help out the band which is how I became friends with them.

No conflicts whatsoever:).

Try this

I just searched on CNET, didn't actually download it - but according to its description, should do the job.

THANK YOU! I appreciate it a lot:).

<FC: Moved from Science to Miscellaneous forum.>

Whoops. Sory FC. That was my bad. I didn't realize we HAD a misc. forum:).

You can use the freeware version of MusicMatch. (musicmatch.com)

Set the input option to System Mixer & specify the output as mp3.

Play the file using whatever program you are using & hit Record on Musicmatch.

Alternately, if you have two PCs or an alternate playing source to output the song, you can set the input on Line In or Mic. Then run a line into the sound card on your PC from the playing source output.

MusicMatch also lets you convert between certain formats (wave to mp3, or WMA, etc.). So the latest version may have the option to convert directly. I don't know about that though, I don't have the latest.

Also, if you can't make it work I can do it. I can do anything you want like that with my home studio gear.

Christopher Schlegel

I used to use a program called Total Recorder. Because it simulates a sound output device, it is able to record anything you can play through your speakers, regardless of the encoding used. You can get the standard version for $12 at http://www.highcriteria.com/

If you happen to have a SoundBlaster card in your computer, there's a nifty recorder that often comes bundled with it for free. It should be under Creative in your Program Files or Programs on the start menu, and then it's called something with Recorder in it. If you don't mind turning off all applications that produce sound, you can record the output of your sound card directly...I think it will create .wav files that you'd still have to convert to mp3 (which there are many free applications to do if you don't happen to have one already)