Objectivism Online Forum

Sienkiewicz's "Quo Vadas?"

Rate this topic

Toolboxnj

Ayn Rand mentioned the book "Quo Vadas? written by Henryk Sienkiewicz in the essay What Is Romanticism?. It was a brief mention, so I didn't get much info on it. A guy I work with who was a philosophy major said I'd enjoy it if I read Rand and called it one of the least known classics.

Has anyone read it? Before I buy it I wanted to get opinions from the board.

TB

I read it. Although it was 12 years ago or so. Even though the theme is entirely pro-Christian, it is irrelevant to how good the book is. It excels in all the main parts that a work of fiction can: theme, plot, characterization, style.

My favorite three are AR, VH, and Dostoyevsky, and this book is in my top 10 of all time best books. Loved it.

Be sure to get the old Jeremiah Curtin translation (highly approved of by Sienkiewicz himself), not a modern "adaptation."

Besides the ingenuity of the plot, a major attraction of the book is its portrayal of the decadent esthete Petronius, one of the most colorful figures in all of literature. He really steals the show!