Objectivism Online Forum

How Do Men of Faith, Who Consider Themselves Objectivists, Reconcile t

Rate this topic

JASKN, et al.,

ObjectiChristianty?!  No such thing... at least that's not what I'm arguing.  Let me try one more time to clarify my position...

First off, I don't see this forum as dedicated to atheists trying to convert theists, or vice versa.  Advocates of reason argue objectively, period.  Ayn Rand's actual quote is, "I am an intransigent atheist, but not a militant one. This means that I am an uncompromising advocate of reason and that I am fighting for reason, not against religion. I must also mention that I do respect religion in its philosophical aspects, in the sense that it represents an early form of philosophy."

So what if any, respectable philosophical aspects of religion remain relavent today?  Consider the following two statements...

--
 "The only 'obligation' involved in individual rights is an obligation imposed, not by the state, but by the nature of reality (i.e., by the law of identity): consistency, which, in this case, means the obligation to respect the rights of others, if one wishes one’s own rights to be recognized and protected." ~ Ayn Rand

"Do to others as you would have them do to you" ~ Ethical Reciprocity, aka The Golden Rule

--
What Ayn Rand identifies as 'consistency' clearly implies ethical reciprocity, which is a common tenet in most religions, and taking her at her word, fundamental to how Objectivism treats the subject of individual rights.  Ayn Rand also defines rights in a social context, but here explicitly states the 'obligation' isn't imposed by government, but by "the nature of reality".  So one can make the point that regardless of faith, heroic beings are obligated to treat each according to some other standard than a man made one.  That is my interest in Objectivism,  why I participate in this forum;  I share her apparent and expressly stated "respect (for) religion in its philosophical aspects".
--
"Just because you can dream it up doesn't mean it's true. Also, mass acceptance doesn't imply truth" ~ JASKN

Agreed, but respectfully the same holds true for atheists.

Edited by Devil's Advocate

The "nature" you are referring to is, presumably, existence as such, whereas the "nature" Rand was specifically talking about in her quote you provided was the human requirement of survival via reason. She wasn't talking about anything close to "reciprocity." She argued for rights as a means for men to live together while each individually supporting his own life with his own mind.

The "nature" you are referring to is, presumably, existence as such, whereas the "nature" Rand was specifically talking about in her quote you provided was the human requirement of survival via reason. She wasn't talking about anything close to "reciprocity." She argued for rights as a means for men to live together while each individually supporting his own life with his own mind.

OK, so not "nature"... nature... human requirement of survival via reason, i.e., existence as such; or is there some other kind mortal nature you're referring to?  Let's say there is some fundamental difference... does it change the meaning of 'respecting the rights of others, if one wishes one’s own rights to be recognized'??

If so please elaborate, because I clearly recall Ayn Rand lecturing on the importance of taking ones words literally...

Edit:  And how does consistency* (as cited above) vary significantly from reciprocity** ??

* "conformity in the application of something, typically that which is necessary for the sake of logic, accuracy, or fairness." ~ Google Consistency

** "a situation or relationship in which two people or groups agree to do something similar for each other, to allow each other to have the same rights, etc." ~ http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/reciprocity

OK, so not "nature"... nature... human requirement of survival via reason, i.e., existence as such; or is there some other kind mortal nature you're referring to?  Let's say there is some fundamental difference... does it change the meaning of 'respecting the rights of others, if one wishes one’s own rights to be recognized'??

If so please elaborate, because I clearly recall Ayn Rand lecturing on the importance of taking ones words literally...

Edit:  And how does consistency* (as cited above) vary significantly from reciprocity** ??

Existence as such is not the same thing as the existence of men. Although men are within the universe, we aren't talking about all of existence when talking about the specific attributes of humans. Ayn Rand bases rights specifically on the human ability to reason. 

Her full quote was:

One of the notions used by all sides to justify the draft, is that “rights impose obligations.” Obligations, to whom?—and imposed, by whom? Ideologically, that notion is worse than the evil it attempts to justify: it implies that rights are a gift from the state, and that a man has to buy them by offering something (his life) in return. Logically, that notion is a contradiction: since the only proper function of a government is to protect man’s rights, it cannot claim title to his life in exchange for that protection.

The only “obligation” involved in individual rights is an obligation imposed, not by the state, but by the nature of reality (i.e., by the law of identity): consistency, which, in this case, means the obligation to respect the rights of others, if one wishes one’s own rights to be recognized and protected.

Rand wasn't arguing for any obligation -- only the "obligation" of each individual to himself. If you recognize other men as also having the capacity to reason, you should treat them as you treat yourself, because in that sense you are the same. For example, you shouldn't treat him as a rock. In this way, you are consistent in your action based on reality as you observe it and judge it. The "Golden Rule," in contrast, is dictated from the Divine, with no consideration permitted by the reasoning individual. The Rule comes with no explanation. By omitting both consideration and explanation, it is the opposite of Rand's view of rights. So, while the Rule is a primitive ethical statement, it doesn't have anything in common with Rand's ethics.

Edited by JASKN

That's nicely explained. Rights are rights, morality is morality. Although the second makes the former necessary, the rationale for O'ist ethics is anything but ethical reciprocity. That individual rights and Christian ethics seem to intersect at the Golden Rule is coincidental** (or serendipitous, depending on where you stand. ;)) The two shouldn't be cross-purposed.

**[but of course they do share the same pragmatic roots - Do as you would be done by - and - the rights you assume for yourself are vulnerable and short-lived, if you do not assume for others the same rights.]

Edited by whYNOT

Existence as such is not the same thing as the existence of men. Although men are within the universe, we aren't talking about all of existence when talking about the specific attributes of humans. Ayn Rand bases rights specifically on the human ability to reason

Here I'd say knowledge of existence as such is dependent on the existence of men as witnesses; but that the existence of men is subsumed by existence as such.  It's almost the classic chicken or the egg scenerio, but logic dictates there must be some real object (other than the observer) to witness; so the egg wins because no one knows what goes on beyond their own eggshell.

It is hardly a stretch of faith to agree that a human right to life is dependent on a human advocate.

Rand wasn't arguing for any obligation -- only the "obligation" of each individual to himself. If you recognize other men as also having the capacity to reason, you should treat them as you treat yourself, because in that sense you are the same. For example, you shouldn't treat him as a rock. In this way, you are consistent in your action based on reality as you observe it and judge it. The "Golden Rule," in contrast, is dictated from the Divine, with no consideration permitted by the reasoning individual. The Rule comes with no explanation. By omitting both consideration and explanation, it is the opposite of Rand's view of rights. So, while the Rule is a primitive ethical statement, it doesn't have anything in common with Rand's ethics.

We can agree that the term obligation is only relavent to consistently ethical interaction between human individuals, e.g. ethical reciprocity, as cited above in post 81; man to man, so to speak.  Ayn Rand's chosen example implies the same.

Beyond that, the "Golden Rule" is dictated by men, as witnesses; the reliability of which may be objectively reviewed.  It's also relavent to understand that application of the "Rule" requires choice, i.e. free will; equivalent to Objectivist definition, "to think or not".  In short, only man can enact the "Rule".  However the "Golden Rule" is only one of many versions of a philosophically ethical standard, practice what you preach.

"As a concept, the Golden Rule has a history that long predates the term "Golden Rule" (or "Golden law", as it was called from the 1670s).  The ethic of reciprocity was present in certain forms in the philosophies of ancient Babylon, Egypt, Persia, India, Greece, Judea, and China."

http://www.princeton.edu/~achaney/tmve/wiki100k/docs/Ethic_of_reciprocity.html

"Zi Gong asked, saying, "Is there one word that may serve as a rule of practice for all one's life?" The Master said, "Is not reciprocity such a word?" ~ Confucious (see link below for more examples)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_Rule

So, while I understand Ayn Rand was not appealing to the Divine, the meaning of, "respect the rights of others, if one wishes one’s own rights to be recognized" is consistent with reciprocity by common definition of both words.  The credibility of the messager is less important than that of the message, unless the message is contradictory.  Truth attributed to coincidence, synchronicity, or the squak of a parrot, remains valid until proven otherwise, does it not?

I would argue that Ayn Rand's reason for using an example of reciprocity to promote ethical trade only validates the truth of the statement, do X, if you expect X in return, where X represents ethical interaction between individuals.   Anyway, that's how I reconcile the difference referred to in the OP.

AR proving the morality of not infringing on others' rights is not the same as do unto others.

Before making the case for respecting the rights of others, AR had proven what rights are.

Do unto others is a subjective alternative to a code of ethics based on objective standards. Anything goes, as long as I like having the same thing done to me. What if I'm a masochist? What if I like the comfort of a welfare state and I gain the power to implement it.

Rights versus whim.

Do unto others is: the good is whatever I feel is good.

DA,

I'd say the Golden Rule as base for ethics has a flaw. (While it does have value as a day to day general guide in dealing with people).

The trouble is, "Do unto others, as you..." does not guarantee the corollary, that OTHERS will 'Do unto YOU...'etc.

In fact it creates an expectation in one, from others, which will not always (or seldom) be realised.

It is pragmatic enough - which only high lights the wrong of pragmatism - and I think it fails as a *reciprocal* ethical system too.

I hardly need point out that's the beauty of individual rights: you or I may follow whichever morality we please, but we will mutually ensure and observe one another's rights - not so much because of pragmatic reciprocity, as I mentioned earlier, more, because of real respect. Respect for another known individual who would never initiate force...and should be protected from force initiated against him. How could any system of Society foster such a climate of benevolence and mutual respect?

You obviously know the Objectivist ethics well, so I don't have to extoll the beauty of rational selfishness, the morality not reliant on reciprocity at all.

Edited by whYNOT

AR proving the morality of not infringing on others' rights is not the same as do unto others.

Before making the case for respecting the rights of others, AR had proven what rights are.

Do unto others is a subjective alternative to a code of ethics based on objective standards. Anything goes, as long as I like having the same thing done to me. What if I'm a masochist? What if I like the comfort of a welfare state and I gain the power to implement it.

Rights versus whim.

Do unto others is: the good is whatever I feel is good.

Do unto others only implies consistency in the nature of human interaction; that ones credibility on the subject of having a right to life depends on extending that same courtesy to others.

DA,

I'd say the Golden Rule as base for ethics has a flaw. (While it does have value as a day to day general guide in dealing with people).

The trouble is, "Do unto others, as you..." does not guarantee the corollary, that OTHERS will 'Do unto YOU...'etc.

In fact it creates an expectation in one, from others, which will not always (or seldom) be realised.

It is pragmatic enough - which only high lights the wrong of pragmatism - and I think it fails as a *reciprocal* ethical system too.

I hardly need point out that's the beauty of individual rights: you or I may follow whichever morality we please, but we will mutually ensure and observe one another's rights - not so much because of pragmatic reciprocity, as I mentioned earlier, more, because of real respect. Respect for another known individual who would never initiate force...and should be protected from force initiated against him. How could any system of Society foster such a climate of benevolence and mutual respect?

You obviously know the Objectivist ethics well, so I don't have to extoll the beauty of rational selfishness, the morality not reliant on reciprocity at all.

I believe the beauty of rational selfishness is that it recognizes a reciprocity of self interest in human interaction.  There are any number of reasons to believe this is so, or to recognized the inevitable threat of a unilateral application of individual rights.  One either has an equal right to the preservation of ones life, or one is at the mercy of those who do.  It's as close to being self evident as it gets.

Our ancestors appealed to God as the final arbitor in an uncertain world; Objectivists appeal to Reality, having the benefit of living in the society God once secured.  Taking ones place in time into account, both appeal and are bound to the same source of knowledge.

Devil's Ad,

Do unto others doesn't imply any specific values other than what each individual actor likes done to him. Not everybody wants to live. There's no consistency, as if that was even a criteria for a validation of an ethical slogan.

It's egoistic moral subjectivism.

Establishing rights is based on objective reality.

The do unto others slogan is not compatible with Objectivist ethics because it's standard of the good is not objective reality, it's subjective whim.

It's not even compatible with judeo-christian ethics because the decisions of morality are not made by the divine mandate of mystic subjectivism; morality is determined by each individual's egoistic subjectivism.

It's a type of individualism, but not the right type.

Devil's Ad,

Do unto others doesn't imply any specific values other than what each individual actor likes done to him. Not everybody wants to live. There's no consistency, as if that was even a criteria for a validation of an ethical slogan.

It's egoistic moral subjectivism.

Establishing rights is based on objective reality.

Ethical consistency is maintained by acknowledging a right to life means the right to dispose of ones life as one chooses.  There is no such thing as absloute life, thus no meaning to a right to live that doesn't necessarily include the right end ones life; else no real choice involved, ergo no right to secure.

Huh? You got all that from do unto others?

"Ethical consistency" is what you wanna call aknowledging the right to life. Is there something new here besides that?

I wanna see you prove that do unto others is a good slogan.

I've proven it's egoistic moral subjectivism. On this site, I don't need to prove why that's evil because AR already did.

My new idea was proving the do unto others slogan isn't even compatible with christianity.

Devil's Ad,

You spoke of a right to commit suicide is part of the right to life. I agree.

I know a man who walked out onto his porch with a rifle and pointed it at the cops, so they would kill him. He told me this, with the scar from a cops bullet smeared across his face (he lived). He wanted to be killed.

Thank God he didn't follow the golden rule (he didn't shoot).

Devil's Ad,

You spoke of a right to commit suicide is part of the right to life. I agree.

I know a man who walked out onto his porch with a rifle and pointed it at the cops, so they would kill him. He told me this, with the scar from a cops bullet smeared across his face (he lived). He wanted to be killed.

Thank God he didn't follow the golden rule (he didn't shoot).

I don't see how the golden rule would apply... If I want to be killed by cops, I should allow others to be killed by cops??

Rights to life and liberty mean there's a choice involved, else the "right" is in fact a duty, i.e., a moral obligation.  In my mind that kind of moral obligation is only relavent to immortals; know any??

Devil's Ad,

Do you misunderstand the subjectivist slogan?

Do unto others as you want them to do unto you.

What did the man want them to do unto him?

He wanted them to kill him.

If the man did unto others as he wanted done to him, he would've killed others.

Regarding your validation of rights, I'm unclear as to what you're saying.

Are you saying that rights are derived from the fact that man can choose to not excersize his rights?

And I don't know if you're saying that "duty" is a concept that a moral being should accept or reject.

I don't know if I agree because I don't understand what you're saying.

I do know that do unto others is a shoddy substitute for an actual code of ethics based on reality.