Objectivism Online Forum

Was My Introduction to Objectivism Distorted?

Rate this topic

lepetitcadien

I fear jaskn, we may be quibbling over semantics. 

But before I go into that allow me to apologize for the most amusing spell check error I have ever had. "strong anthropomorphic principle" above should be "strong anthropic principle". I wonder what letters my fingers fumbled over to get that close and be so far.

I would suggest, deduction of the general statement " your views aren't consistent with Objectivism" is not warranted, even stipulating all you have said. My belief set is demonstrably far more consistent with Objectivism than, for example, the general population. I refrain from making -general- statements about your belief set, when I detect, what I think are specific errors, in your thinking. As a nominal leader on this forum it would behove you to take a similar approach, but If you must express the general statement, accompany it with some qualification, the most honest would be the qualification that the statement is your opinion. 

Further I have consistently stipulated there are errors in my belief set, I recognize my fallibility, and my participation in this forum should be taken as evidence of good a good faith (damn there is that word you hate so much) effort, to root out errors. This important because if one expresses oneself as though one were infallible it becomes more difficult to remain civil. 

The "men of faith" thread will get additional posts. I will not however, add to it until I have time to express selected concepts with the rigor previous discussion demanded. I refuse to be goaded into any other approach. Moreover it remains my opinion that your reference to it here has been done in poor taste, given your position. You continue to reinforce that opinion.

Just FYI, "Senior Member" is an automatic distinction granted after reaching a quantity of posts. It isn't meant to reflect authority or knowledge. It would be ironic if a forum dedicated to Rand's reality-based ideas, including her stress on independent thinking, would try to assign labels in place of each member's judgement of another user's value, for himself.

Just FYI, "Senior Member" is an automatic distinction granted after reaching a quantity of posts. It isn't meant to reflect authority or knowledge. It would be ironic if a forum dedicated to Rand's reality-based ideas, including her stress on independent thinking, would try to assign labels in place of each member's judgement of another user's value, for himself.

Thank you for the correction.