1. 1. Who is your favorite couple?

• Dagny & Francisco
    • Dagny & Hank Rearden
    • Dagny & John Galt
    • Ragnar & Kay Ludlow
    • Cherryl & Jim Taggart
    • Lilian & Hank Rearden
    • Lilian & Jim Taggart

Who is your favorite Atlas Shrugged couple? I know John Galt is the ideal man and everything but at the end I wanted Dagny to stay with Francisco because he'd waited so long for her. :D I included evil couples as well just to be democratic.

I am going to be the Maverick in this thread and say Jim and Cherryl. Never has anyone so masterfully demonstrated the destruction of a rational mind at the hands of evil than Ayn Rand's depiction of Cherryl Taggart. Cherryl's scene when she spends the night weeping at Dagny's feet had me as moved as the moment when the Wet Nurse died and when Eddie Willers collapsed in front of the train. It drove me to tears, because I know that all too often rational but ignorant minds are ruined by the bully tactics of a few evil men.

In terms of which man was right for Dagny, I have to say Galt, but I loved Hank's character dearly and throughout the book I had found that I was screaming at the page pleading Hank to not give in. I was so devastated when they blackmailed him out of his Readin metal. so If I hadn't already clicked the Jim/Cherryl button, Dagny and Hank would have been my tag. I loved seeing Hank happy.

I saw the Lillian and Jim affair coming from a mile away. Ayn Rand was so masterful in creating consistent characters I knew those two were just made for each other.

Who is your favorite Atlas Shrugged couple? I know John Galt is the ideal man and everything but at the end I wanted Dagny to stay with Francisco because he'd waited so long for her.  :D  I included evil couples as well just to be democratic.

My favorite Atlas couple isn't on the list, but that's because they didn't get together in the novel -- but might have afterwards.

I'm talking about Francisco and the novelist/fishwife in the valley. In fact, both of of those characters were based on real people who were a real couple for more than fifty years. There was once a joyful, handsome man with a Roman profile and a clever sense of humor -- how would you say "Frank O'Connor" in Spanish -- who was married to a novelist who had "dark, disheveled hair and large eyes."

I voted Ragnar and Kay. There's not much information about their couple. But it seems the most stable couple.

Dagny and John Galt maybe the perfect couple, the hero and heroine meeting (and mating :D ) but their romance is still young.

At first Ragnar and Kay's relation seems a Hollywood parody. A pirate and an actress, like the gangster and gangster girl friend. Then you discover their real character. A philosopher and a very talented actress. It's the love they have for each others intelligence and talent that holds them together, not the glamour of most sho-bizz couples.

I voted Jim and Lillian-- this relationship demonstrated that even when joining forces, evil is nonetheless reduced to sputtering impotence in the face of greatness (Dagny and Rearden).

And I find it funny that so many people voted for Francisco -- but I'm not surprised. He's just got that "cool" factor going on; he was far and away my favorite character in AS.

My favorite Atlas couple isn't on the list, but that's because they didn't get together in the novel -- but might have afterwards.

I'm talking about Francisco and the novelist/fishwife in the valley.  In fact, both of of those characters were based on real people who were a real couple for more than fifty years.  There was once a joyful, handsome man with a Roman profile and a clever sense of humor -- how would you say "Frank O'Connor" in Spanish -- who was married to a novelist who had "dark, disheveled hair and large eyes."

That's an awesome tidbit! Thanks! :D

Besides Galt and Dagny, I would say Sebastian D'Anconia and the woman he left in Spain, after spitting in the face of the Inquisitor, to make his fortune, and then sent for her to join him--or did he go and get her? The waiting for one's love until the circumstances are ready for love, is quite beautiful. Roark waited for Dominique many many years too.

Americo.

P.S. Betsy, that was very beautiful what you related, Thank you.

I'm talking about Francisco and the novelist/fishwife in the valley.  In fact, both of of those characters were based on real people who were a real couple for more than fifty years.  There was once a joyful, handsome man with a Roman profile and a clever sense of humor -- how would you say "Frank O'Connor" in Spanish -- who was married to a novelist who had "dark, disheveled hair and large eyes."

I had always thought the novelist/fishwife must have been based on Ayn Rand. :D

May I ask where you got this information? Did Ayn Rand herself ever state that the fishwife was based on her?

I had always thought the novelist/fishwife must have been based on Ayn Rand.  :)

May I ask where you got this information? Did Ayn Rand herself ever state that the fishwife was based on her?

Yes she did. This is also mentioned in Shoshana Milgram's delightful and informative lecture on "The Spirit of Francisco" available here.

I chose John Galt and Dagny.

Galt was cool, quiet, brilliant, and always in control. The man behind the scenes who saw the furthest. A tremendous awe inspiring genius who actualized so much of his potential. Someone like that has more to offer in depth and breadth than the others, who obviously are amazing in their own right.

I loved Francisco for the sheer fun and flair of the character, but there is something fun about having a supreme level of control over your life, as Galt did. It's not automatic. It takes continuous thought and effort.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

I would have to say John and Dagny. As they are the best characters in the whole novel as far as I am concerned, and they represent the union of two people whom represent the 'highest within us'. Out of everyone in the book, despite their earlier conflicts and differences, they are the I consider to be the most right for each other.

And besides, their past conflicts made it all much more interesting...

Behind them, i would say Dagny and Fransisco. They would have made a good couple perhaps, but I think their pasts and diverging futures would have made things abit more difficult in the end.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 11 months later...

I voted Dagny and Hank. I was in tears when Hank was searching for the wreckage of her plane and she called to him from under the rays.... where he couldn't see her...

A couple I would have liked to see was Cheryl and Eddie Willers. Two casualties of a war beyond their understanding, they were nevertheless good and decent people.

:lol: agree!

• 2 months later...
I liked Hank and Dagny the most... simply because Hank was the person who was converting me to reason as I read - Galt was the climax of that, but I felt as if my deliverance had come from Rearden.

Me, too. Galt was the more perfect character in that he did not make the same mistakes in his thought processes as Rearden -- but it was Rearden's struggle and eventual discovery of the truth that I empathized with most, and that made me fall in love with him. Not to mention that the description of Hank and Dagny's romance is the most fleshed-out of any of them -- we know where he takes her to dinner, the gifts he buys that make her feel like a woman, and what they feel when they sleep together for the first time. Seeing their romance in such detail made it my favorite of any in the novel.

I'm not sure that Fransisco and Dagny make the best couple, Fransisco seemed more interested than Dagny, but I liked reading about their romance best. It was so youthful! It kind of reminds me of one of my own... :thumbsup:

Edited by kufa

• 2 weeks later...

I loved Fransisco and Hank. The equality, admiration and respect they have for each other. In the scene from AS when the boiler broke and Fransicio jumps in and helps him is one of my favorites.

Of your choices above though, I picked Hank & Dagny.

Edited by Alessa36

I loved Fransisco and Hank. The equality, admiration and respect they have for each other. In the scene from AS when the boiler broke and Francisco jumps in and helps him is one of my favorites.

Of your choices above though, I picked Hank & Dagny.

Hahaha!! Nice one. They are my favorite too after Dagny and Galt. And the scene you're talking about was my favorite after first reading of the book. I like how Reardan called Francisco a "damn fool" at the end because he almost lost his life.

Dunno, I think it shows this certain character of people who do not express their emotion very willingly and verbally, but still feel intensely. So the "damn fool" thing was a sort of unintentional expression of love. Normally calling someone a "damn fool" after they nearly lost their life is unthinkable, but for Reardan it was an expression of respect and love.

I really love how Reardan loves Francisco, how it grows in him as he gets to know Francisco, and develops admiration for him.

I think it's rare for men to feel that way about another man, and that it is a sign of integrity. Usually people feel love for the opposite sex. Sounds strange to me though. I would think that if someone loves certain traits they would be capable of loving them in a member of the same gender as well (though in different form).

• 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...