Objectivism Online Forum

Purpose of Objectivism

Rate this topic

Harrison Danneskjold

I've been here a while now and discussed basically everything, except this forum itself.

We all have a finite amount of time available, so to waste any time is evil, so every possible moment of our lives should be given purpose.

So what's the purpose of this forum?

I haven't been here in a while now and don't plan on returning after tonight. But I'd like to mention that it isn't for spite; it's because I found what I was looking for, here.

And I have no word that could be worthy of it.

Ayn Rand gave me the tools to understand and master my own mind, and I learned how to use them here. I know, and can consequently direct, the precise function and development of my soul.

Ayn Rand gave me that.

So I thought it was worth its own thread to point it out:

Objectivism is not an organized set of beliefs or words or convictions; Objectivism is their sacred purpose; their logical conclusion. It's the final integration into a single, glorious means.

Think about it. Talk about it. Then go out and live it.

There are worse ways to relax than to spend time on an internet forum. It's pretty similar to playing online multiplayer video games, but the participants get to be intellectual while they are shooting down bad guys. You're welcome to leave if you've found a more enjoyable diversion, of course.

I've been here a while now and discussed basically everything, except this forum itself.

We all have a finite amount of time available, so to waste any time is evil, so every possible moment of our lives should be given purpose.

I haven't been here in a while now and don't plan on returning after tonight. But I'd like to mention that it isn't for spite; it's because I found what I was looking for, here.

Ayn Rand gave me the tools to understand and master my own mind, and I learned how to use them here. I know, and can consequently direct, the precise function and development of my soul.

Ayn Rand gave me that.

Objectivism is not an organized set of beliefs or words or convictions; Objectivism is their sacred purpose; their logical conclusion. It's the final integration into a single, glorious means.

What is purpose of Objectivism? This question is amount to the question " Philosophy, who needs it?". Ayn Rand wrote a book with such a title and I strongly recommend it. In short the answer is that man, been volitional being without inherent automatic code of behavior needs a guidance in the form of explicit comprehensive view on existence. This is philosophy and as such it's not an intellectual game like chess or linguistic analysis, but essential requirement of man's survival. Since contradictions don't exist, philosophy based on inherent contradictions and false premises is a tool of destruction of mind and body. Man operates on conceptual level but lives on earth. To  live and thrive he  needs a guidance which based on facts of reality and their non-contradictory integration into concepts, including the most broad abstractions like existence, mind and good. This is Objectivism.

I pay attention to this forum because I am interested in iidea and the people who talk about issues here are one of the few groups that I find to be level headed. I don't go to this forum because of the Objectivism label. I go because it is well regulated and the threads are generally interesting. It sounds like you aren't interested in talking about ideas, which isn't a huge problem as long as you have ideas. There are a lot of people out there who can help you think through things, there is no need to go on a forum. 

Objectivism itself is the philosophy of Ayn Rand. I didn't live the same experiences she did, and I wasn't educated in a similar way to her. While I can certainly appreciate her ideas, my ideas can only really be formed on my own thinking. Her writing serves as a source of inspiration, criticism, explanation, and demonstration. However you can not possibly contain the information necessary to be truly informed on five branches of philosophy, much less the special scientific claims of history, psychology, anthropology, and economics. The subjects on which Rand wrote fill volumes of books written by 1000s of years of authors. Being informed on each subject is going to take me a very long time, and that information will be used to build more sophisticated and perhaps different concepts about the world.  Any knowledge I gain that I didn't gain from reading Rand is not part of of Objectivsim even if it is consistent with Objectivsim. 

So the purpose of Rand's philosophy to me is my personal (intellectual) growth. 

An OO.com member once described the forum as a "tumbler for ideas," which I liked. A forum dedicated to discussing ideas honestly and seriously has potential to fulfill an array of purposes for many kinds of individuals.

I'm not sure how participating here is disqualified from the activity of "living."

I have found this forum an absolute joy, an addendum to a relatively secure, sometimes demanding, and often tedious life-style. My interest and joy are derived from the satisfaction of interacting with the many different personalities, the individuals who are not ashamed to express their individuality, the individuals who have discovered for themselves the shared value of a truly comprehensive and solid philosophy. I will admit, I have yet to deliver the evidence of my own genius, the best of my creative potential. But this forum has allowed me an opportunity to exercise my reasoning and debating skills with people worthy of intellectual challenge.

And who knows: Maybe one day Objectivism might not be an obscure intellectual challenge. It could be the accepted norm of a new Age of Enlightenment. I, for one, am willing to advance the process, one individual at a time. 

I'm back again because I forgot something.

I wasn't saying that this forum or philosophy aren't important, to be clear. Everyone who referenced Philosophy: Who Needs It was spot-on.

But what purpose was there in replying to me at all?

To demonstrate my broader point, a few replies greatly enhanced the clarity and coherence of my OP (accidentally). Most clarified nothing and contributed nothing.

So how did they affect their authors?

Live long and prosper.

Even with my understanding of Objectivist principles, I sometimes am unclear as to their correct application to reality--due to my lack of knowledge regarding all the pertinent implications of my intended actions.

The minds here have a lot of helpful knowledge.

I've gained many other values: a better understanding of what Miss Rand said. And the fun of an intellectual debate with a subjectivist. And the constant reaffirmation that there are people that use logic. And more.

I pay them back by trying to write something interesting once in a while.

Thanks. I still owe y'all for all them values I scored here.

...it's worth it to me if I can help any other good person see what it took me so long to.

You gotta be kidding!

Edit: Given that you've added replies in other threads, maybe I misread. I take it you've discovered value in the forum now...?

Edited by JASKN

I would hope the purpose of this forum is to be a honey-pot for intellectually and/or philosophically frustrated individuals to learn about the 'joys of Objectivism'. I would hope my time here would rewarded with stimulating discussion and opportunity for exchanging ideas.  If I contributed to your frustration with the forum HD, I apologise. I offer best wishes.

• 1 month later...

I get up and see what passes for the news.  Correction - what passes for thinking in presenting the "news". 

I go to work and listen to people talk politics or ideas which amounts to not moving the goal posts, but blowing them up, because they have learned how to think from Comedy Central or talk radio so they think that crouching in trees and throwing their shit at each other posses as a discussion of ideas.

When I go home the Mrs. Architect will likely have saved some horror from today's news because in part she needs to share and talk about it too for her sanity. 

This forum is an oasis from that. Not a place to hide forever but an oasis to breathe and broaden a few horizons in real time and real ways before I continue on my day. 

I have good freinds and we do things but we will not be having a discussion of Objectivist Epistomology anytime soon.  Or any other kind actually. 

I come here so can listen to real conversations with someone else who actually gets what I get. For real thoughts written in a coherent manner that add value to my life. 

• 10 months later...

An OO.com member once described the forum as a "tumbler for ideas," which I liked. A forum dedicated to discussing ideas honestly and seriously has potential to fulfill an array of purposes for many kinds of individuals.

I'm not sure how participating here is disqualified from the activity of "living."

I found that post here, and actually experienced it here.

Now I find myself asking, Is there a mindset one can enter, say to read Atlas Shrugged again, that can help produce the phenomenon, or even better yet, something that would be more effective with the non-fiction works?

I found that post here, and actually experienced it here.

Now I find myself asking, Is there a mindset one can enter, say to read Atlas Shrugged again, that can help produce the phenomenon, or even better yet, something that would be more effective with the non-fiction works?

I'm not sure exactly what this question means. There are a few possibilities I can think of, and some of them are fascinating.

Do you think you could rephrase it, please?

Rand uses a tumbler metaphor in Atlas Shrugged three times in succession, when Hank Reardon was speaking first to Dr. Ferris, then Lawson and  finally James Taggart in (fittingly) The Concerto of Deliverance. The odder part of the question deals with a mindset one can enter, however, in retrospect, the number of factors involved suggests there's not a simple, clear-cut answer.

• 4 months later...

Ayn Rand gave me that.

Objectivism, to me, is a philosophical system that makes sense of the world in which we live to better allow me to control my life for my life. I've seen other sciences accomplish the same task, but in different realms -- not strictly to my life and its relationship to reality.

As an example, I'm an engineer and the course "statics" really built a system of thinking involving stationary/inertial objects that allowed me to design solutions to achieve desired ends. Most engineering courses built on this framework and expanded my understanding, and therefore, my power of control over the world around me involving physical objects. There is truth to the old adage, "with knowledge, power (usually in Latin)".

The same applies to a massage therapist I know. Biology and human anatomy helps make sense of what she senses in the human body (knotted muscles) and why certain areas are damaged and in pain, and what the remedy is. Bad therapists don't have these understandings.

I'm sure any profession worth the money for its services is the same but maybe to a different degree. What makes philosophy unique is that, unlike the specialized examples I gave, it is the ultimate generalization, and therefore, It affects everything.

Edited by m082844