Objectivism Online Forum

Changes for Objectivism Online!

Rate this topic

I updated my bookmark to .com -- so it isn't a problem.

[...]

Attached is a pic with the dates changed to black.

Ok, I changed the post times to white and bold. I think it's pretty visible, what about you?

Also, I added a permanent redirect for "forum.objectivismonline.net/index.php?app=portal" to point to the same URL but with .com, as that was the only version of the links that I got to not recognize me as being signed in. Regular "objectivismonline.com" and "objectivismonline.net" were already permanently redirected, and they all did the job correctly and kept me signed in. Is it working now?

Ok, I changed the post times to white and bold. I think it's pretty visible, what about you?

Also, I added a permanent redirect for "forum.objectivismonline.net/index.php?app=portal" to point to the same URL but with .com, as that was the only version of the links that I got to not recognize me as being signed in. Regular "objectivismonline.com" and "objectivismonline.net" were already permanently redirected, and they all did the job correctly and kept me signed in. Is it working now?

Yes.  Great work.  

The dates are definitely more readable now when using the Statue of Liberty background image.

And, going to .net now redirects to .com and shows me as logged in.

Well done!

If anyone has ideas of things that would be useful on the Portal/landing page, please feel free to suggest them. Most relevant would be things you would personally like to see. Right now, it shows summary info about aspects of the forum, and one portlet shows links to the Wiki (main page and random page). What else might be of interest? A random topic from the forum archives? A feed of Rand mentions (like a Google Alerts feed)? Links to other Objectivism-related sites? Ideas?

Edited by softwareNerd

One idea is a widget or rss feed of all news articles that mention Objectivism or Any Rand.   I like to check these a lot and sometimes like to comment on the particularly vicious or erroneous ones.    (and there are good / positive occurrences too)

Edited by freestyle

Any idea why the Portal is no longer a menu-option on the left-side menu of the forum?

I simply renamed it to "Objectivism Online" in the menu, since it is to be the main page of OO.com. I suppose we could just still call it "Portal," since it's still in the link.

Yes, that was the one issue with that background. I liked that particular image of the Statue of Liberty enough that I decided to use it anyway -- at least until someone complained! I'll look for another one soon I guess.

Is it possible to adjust the grey-scale of the image to make it darker? That might create sufficient contrast between the background and the text of the post header.

Edit: I see that changes have already been made. I wondered why people were having trouble ;).

Edited by FeatherFall

Is it possible to adjust the grey-scale of the image to make it darker? That might create sufficient contrast between the background and the text of the post header.

Edit: I see that changes have already been made. I wondered why people were having trouble ;).

:thumbsup:

I actually did adjust it darker before we made the switch... the original was almost white, which conflicted with a lot more than just the post time stamps! The skin developer even advised toward darker images (like the other four I chose as options people can pick), but that Liberty image is so cool... :)

I have another small irritation about the new chat. It always lists a number in the little red box that doesn't match how many people it lists when you mouse over or when you check the bottom of the main forum page.

Thanks for pointing this out. It is something we've noticed, and we're figuring out a fix.

In the meantime, the red number that displays above the "Chat" in the menu is the correct number of users actually chatting.

• 1 month later...

The new font looks ugly on my screen, uneven, with thick and thin lines, which makes it difficult to read. Fortunately the theme "IP board" brought back the old crisp and sharp font, so I've no complaint. But I just wonder why the other font looks so ugly on my screen (I've seen the same effect on some other sites). Has it something to do with the resolution (1920 * 1200) that I use?

You'd probably have to Google for that one, based on your browser, browser version, and browser defaults. I know that our new theme has a few fonts set as default that it will have each browser display, based on your own personal browser settings -- for example, Helvetica and Arial.