Objectivism Online Forum

Lead Shot used as weight in a RS car, what would Rand think?

Rate this topic

Given Ayn Rand’s position on the use of firearms, which can be summed up in her statement that, “those who know that they cannot win by means of logic, have always resorted to guns,” I wonder what she’d think about the fact that I’m adding weight to my Rearden Steel slag cars by filling the crucible with lead bird shot before creating a layer of simulated slag over the top of the birdshot/epoxy slurry?

The only slag cars available in ‘S’ scale (1:64 scale) are created by 3D printing and while this technique yields affordable, very finely detailed, railcars, the cars are VERY light and, without trucks (wheels) weight little over an ounce.  In order for a car to be operational (able to be pulled by a train), they need to be at least 6oz. and preferably 8oz.  Since there’s no room for internal weights, I had to put the weights in the crucible and lead shot mixed with epoxy can be molded to fill every available space, bringing the car to 5.9 oz. (close enough).

So the car of a railroad imagined by a woman who seems hostile to private firearm ownership, is weighted with lead shot (shotgun ammunition).

However, given the tendency of looters and the tyrannical governments they spawn to employ force, usually taking the form of firearms, against free people, it would seem wise for all objectivist/free people to be well trained in the use of firearms and well supplied.

When reason fails to be an efficacious tool, understanding what the alternative to it is can provide a prudent recourse, should the need arise. Keep in mind, she also stated that "Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it."

Given Ayn Rand’s position on the use of firearms, which can be summed up in her statement that, “those who know that they cannot win by means of logic, have always resorted to guns,”...

In this quote, Rand isn't commenting on guns, she's using guns as a symbol for force in general. I believe she was on the fence about gun ownership for private citizens, coming out slightly on the side of citizens. Many Objectivists are gun enthusiasts. Edited by JASKN

Given Ayn Rand’s position on the use of firearms, which can be summed up in her statement that, “those who know that they cannot win by means of logic, have always resorted to guns,” I wonder what she’d think about the fact that I’m adding weight to my Rearden Steel slag cars by filling the crucible with lead bird shot before creating a layer of simulated slag over the top of the birdshot/epoxy slurry?

She'd have no idea what you're talking about, because she wouldn't know what half the words you're using mean. I doubt she ever even owned a gun. 

But she wasn't against gun ownership. Out of context quotes can be misleading. For instance that quote, on its own, can be interpreted as suggesting using guns is always irrational. In fact, from a more detailed study of her works, it's clear that she was in favor of the government using retaliatory force, and citizens acting in self defense. The only kind of use of force she opposed is the initiation of force.

So, the only way she would be upset by your actions is if they include using your gun to shoot innocent people.

Edited by Nicky