Objectivism Online Forum

Ukraine

Rate this topic

softwareNerd

24 Feb 2022 (2:00 pm E) - Nechepurenko and Bilefsky - NYT

“In Moscow, the police blocked off access to the Puskinskaya Square in the city center, after opposition activists called people to come there. . . . A few hundred people, mostly young, flanked the streets leading to the square, some chanting ‘No to war!’ and unfurling a Ukrainian flag. The police detained more than 600 people in the city . . . .

“In St. Petersburg, Russia’s second-largest city, riot police officers rounded up more than 170 people who came to Nevsky Prospekt . . . . Wearing helmets and in full gear, they hit people and pushed protesters to the ground, according to (3:55->)

“Many people came out in other Russian cities, including in Yekaterinburg, a major city in the Ural Mountains, where protesters chanted ‘No to war!’ In front a a Lenin Monument.

“One of Russia’s most popular rappers, called for an antiwar movement to be created in Russia that would unite people. He was one of many Russian public figures and celebrities who spoke out against the Russian attack. ‘I know that most people in Russia are against this war, and I am confident that the more people would talk about their real attitude to it, the faster we can stop this horror’, said Oxxxxymiron, also known as Miron Fyodorov.”

Edited by Boydstun

• 2 months later...
On 2/22/2014 at 2:59 PM, softwareNerd said:

So, perhaps the most practical resolution is for the country to split into two, while allowing free movement of citizens and property across the two newly-formed countries.

I'd be happy to see the whole country spin out of Putin's grasp, but if a split will save lives that's better. perhaps Russia will keep its army out if it can retain a buffer-state, albeit a thinner one, between it and Europe.

My admittedly not carefully-thought-out reaction:  too bad this wasn't done.  We may end up with something like this anyway, but probably without free movement, and definitely without having saved lives.  

19 hours ago, Doug Morris said:

The United States is badly contaminated by mixed-economy statism and the resulting pressure-group warfare.  But isn't it a serious exaggeration to call the United States a corrupt kleptocratic empire?

It may be a stretch ( or just redundant ie are there non corrupt kleptocracies?) but it may not be a stretch if the role of central banking and currency control are factored in.

On 4/27/2022 at 1:52 PM, tadmjones said:

... if the role of central banking and currency control are factored in.

The root all evil ....

French journalist made a Ukraine documentary in 2016.  53 minutes long, so set aside time for it

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Much of the farm equipment stolen was modern enough to contained electronic deactivation devices, rendering the equipment useless, save for some spare parts.

<google search> (Around May 5th, on the timeline.)

Top result: Ukraine: How farm vehicles stolen by Russia were remotely disabled

49 minutes ago, Doug Morris said:

Looking at the last two posts, a really weird thought crossed my mind.  Could we genetically engineer grain to have a way of remotely rendering it useless?

Of what benefit would that be and for whom ? It feels like an ability to unilaterally render crops useless would be the same as stealing the produce from the producers.

May want to more closely monitor your gaseous exchanges.

42 minutes ago, tadmjones said:

Of what benefit would that be and for whom ? It feels like an ability to unilaterally render crops useless would be the same as stealing the produce from the producers.

The idea would be that the producers would activate it if the grain was stolen.  But as I said, it was a really weird thought.