Objectivism Online Forum

Nudity

Rate this topic

There is no justification either for rules mandating clothing or rules forcing private property owners not to contract with "entrants" how they are to dress on private property..

Places defined as "public" per se may not even be justified... 

In a proper society there would be private property and unowned property... no "public property". 

In "unowned property" something like "rules about clothes" would be unenforceable, no initiation of force, while on private property there may be conditions voluntarily agreed to between the property owner and the person passing through but those are all voluntary and contractual.

And, since the title suggests a broader overview, I'll add that being uncomfortable with nudity is silly, that nudity is not inherently sexual, that no one is harmed by the sight of nudity, and that we should all get nude a hell of a lot more often.

I disagree. Is it silly to be "uncomfortable" or disgusted at the smell of poo? Some things are unappealing to the senses. Poo is unappealing to the nose, and most people nude are unappealing to the eyes.

Edited by thenelli01

I would feel comfortable, yes. Why wouldn't I? Feeling uncomfortable is usually a lousy reason to not do something, anyway. Either way, you need to know why you're uncomfortable in order to use it as an argument.

Most people think poop smells gross. There are probably scientific reasons for this. But, if you don't like it, you can go somewhere else -- as you can from the company of nudity, as you can with anything that you find unappealing. But, experience tells me most unappealing things are easy to ignore in person. Besides, there are plenty of unappealing people *clothed*.

Edited by JASKN

I'm with JASKN on this one. I do have something further in mind here, but not in the anticipated direction (and we all should get nude more often).

It's interesting that so many people act as if they're so ashamed of their own bodies; it's tangential but I think there's something deeper to that.

The direction I have in mind, though, is somewhat more political. . .

Did you really just compare the sight of the human body to the smell of feces? . . . ?!

Yes, many human bodies are actually worse to the senses than the smell of feces.

This really isn't a philosophical issue. JASKN prefers people to be naked, I prefer them to be clothed. I prefer not to be surrounded by feces, or other things that gross me out. 

Nude overweight people make me feel uncomfortable -- very unappealing to the eye -- just try stepping into the men's locker room and seeing a bare-naked overweight, old man right in your face. 

Edited by thenelli01

-- just try stepping into the men's locker room and seeing a bare-naked overweight, old man right in your face.

Meanwhile, somewhere, some overweight old man is whispering in horror: "I've been Objectified!"

Edited by Harrison Danneskjold

In all seriousness though, I find a great number of other people's ideas offensive or even obscene; that doesn't mean I can censor them. If I object then I don't have to listen.

For the same reasons, if someone else's body disturbs you then look away.

In all seriousness though, I find a great number of other people's ideas offensive or even obscene; that doesn't mean I can censor them. If I object then I don't have to listen.

For the same reasons, if someone else's body disturbs you then look away.

Who said anything about censoring? Censoring applies to the government, not to property owners.

As a property owner, I would make sure everyone who is on my property is wearing clothing. As a radio host, I wouldn't allow communists to give a 30-minute speech of propaganda and lies, based on the premise: "Even though I find their ideas offensive, obscene, and downright evil, I should still allow them to speak." Why should they be allowed to speak on my property, even if I don't have to listen? Why should naked people be allowed to walk on my property, even if I can look away?

That is not censoring, that is an application of property rights. 

Please prove it then. I'm now genuinely interested if you will live according to your principles in this instance.

You can link to an external photo service with a Not Safe For Work warning if OO terms of service are an issue.

Nice try, although I do find it flattering that you are so interested in my "principles."

Yes, many human bodies are actually worse to the senses than the smell of feces.

This really isn't a philosophical issue. JASKN prefers people to be naked, I prefer them to be clothed. I prefer not to be surrounded by feces, or other things that gross me out. 

Nude overweight people make me feel uncomfortable -- very unappealing to the eye -- just try stepping into the men's locker room and seeing a bare-naked overweight, old man right in your face.

There's a scientific explanation as to why we are naturally repulsed by feces. I'm not aware of such an explanation involving nudity (of people of any age).

Unless you provide one, you shouldn't compare the two.

I don't understand. If you truly believe it's irrational to be embarrassed about nudity, what reason could you have for not posting a nude picture online?

I don't have a problem with saying or hearing words. Any words. I would love to live in a world where no one has that problem, and we can freely use any word we like.

And yet, I would never post a video of myself using certain words (like "nigger" or "cunt"). Can you guess why that is? It's the same reason why someone perfectly comfortable with nudity won't post a nude picture of themselves: he cares about other people's opinion and reaction.

Edited by Nicky

Why wouldn't you verify? The one and only reason I could think of is that you have some weird leftover issues from your teen years, when you'd get more guys hitting on you than girls, and you're on a life mission to make sure that doesn't happen anymore. You seeing me naked would give gays the wrong idea.

Or... could there be more than one single possible reason behind a decision...?

There's a scientific explanation as to why we are naturally repulsed by feces. I'm not aware of such an explanation involving nudity (of people of any age).

Unless you provide one, you shouldn't compare the two.

This may be true and it might be a bad comparison, but my point still remains:

People have preferences -- I prefer blue over orange. I don't like the color orange as it is unpleasant to me when it comes to home decor, clothes, etc. So, if I buy a house and, by default, the colors of the walls are orange. According to JASKN, it would be "silly" to change the colors to blue because:

1) Looking at the color orange doesn't "harm" anyone.

2) I can simply "not look" at the walls.

Edited by thenelli01

I'm not up on the science, but the suggestion that we are innately drawn to / repulsed by certain bodies looks like a plausible case of species-preservation utility.  The standard beautiful body is one that is fit to conceive and reproduce; such a woman can bear children and nurse; such a man can protect a family.  An unattractive body is one that is too feeble or too old for this.