Objectivism Online Forum

Reblogged: NoodleCast #288: Stand Your Ground Laws, New Objectivists,

Rate this topic

On Sunday’s episode of Philosophy in Action Radio, I answered questions on “stand your ground” laws, advice to new Objectivists, and more with Greg Perkins. The podcast of that episode is now available for streaming or downloading. You’ll find it on the episode’s archive page, as well as below.

Remember, you can automatically download podcasts of Philosophy in Action Radio by subscribing to Philosophy in Action’s Podcast RSS Feed:

Podcast: Stand Your Ground Laws, New Objectivists, and More

Listen or Download:

support.jpg

Remember, with every episode of Philosophy in Action Radio, we show how rational philosophy can help you find joy in your work, model virtue for your kids, pursue your goals effectively, communicate with respect, and advocate for a free society. We can’t do that without your support, so please remember to
tip your philosopher
!

You can download or listen to my answers to individual questions from this episode below.

Introduction (0:00)

My News of the Week: I competed in another three-phase event on Lila yesterday. Now I’m off to visit my parents as they RV around South Dakota.

Question 1: “Stand Your Ground” Laws (3:46)

In this segment, I answered a question on “stand your ground” laws.

Are “stand your ground” self-defense laws proper? Should a potential crime victim in reasonable fear of of his life be required to attempt to withdraw from a confrontation when possible? Or is it proper to allow him to “stand his ground” and use a firearm to kill the assailant?

My Answer, In Brief: The right to self-defense is not unlimited. A person has a minimal duty to retreat when in public setting – provided that such retreat is easy, obvious, and safe.

Listen or Download:

Links:

To comment on this question or my answer, visit its comment thread.

Question 2: Advice to New Objectivists (19:22)

In this segment, I answered a question on advice to new Objectivists.

What advice would you give to a new Objectivist? At ATLOSCon, you led a discussion on “What I Wish I’d Known as a New Objectivist.” Personally, I wish I could tell younger self that the term “selfish” doesn’t mean the “screw everyone else, I’m getting mine” behavior that most people think it means. Other people will use the term that way, and trying to correct them is an uphill battle not worth fighting. I’d tell my younger self to just use a long-winded circumlocution to get the point across. What other kinds of obstacles do people new to Objectivism commonly encounter? What advice would you give to new Objectivists to help them recognize and overcome those obstacles?

My Answer, In Brief: People new to Objectivism – particularly young people – tend to make certain common kinds of errors. They can be avoided, and more experienced Objectivists can help the newer Objectivists with that.

Listen or Download:

Links:

To comment on this question or my answer, visit its comment thread.

Rapid Fire Questions (58:22)

In this segment, I answered questions impromptu. The questions were:
  • What is the opposite of egalitarianism? Elitism? Differentialism? Hierarchism? Justice?
  • Is it ever just to ‘make an example’ of a criminal?
  • Would you ever consider doing a TED lecture? If so, what would it be about?

Listen or Download:

To comment on these questions or my answers, visit
its comment thread

Conclusion (1:02:33)

Be sure to check out the topics
scheduled for upcoming episodes
! Don’t forget to
submit and vote on questions
for future episodes too!

About Philosophy in Action Radio

Philosophy in Action Radio applies rational principles to the challenges of real life in live internet radio shows on Sunday mornings and Thursday evenings. For information on upcoming shows, visit the Episodes on Tap. For podcasts of past shows, visit the Show Archives.

support.jpgRemember, with every episode of Philosophy in Action Radio, we show how rational philosophy can help you find joy in your work, model virtue for your kids, pursue your goals effectively, communicate with respect, and advocate for a free society. We can’t do that without your support, so please remember to tip your philosopher!

Philosophy in Action's NewsletterPhilosophy in Action's Facebook PagePhilosophy in Action's Twitter StreamPhilosophy in Action's RSS FeedsPhilosophy in Action's Calendar
JyxlxcSGBIs

Link to Original