Objectivism Online Forum

Reblogged: Don’t Celebrate Political Polarization

Rate this topic

From America’s growing political polarization:

2014-political-polar.jpg

Unfortunately, both Republicans and Democrats are ardent opponents of individual rights in various domains. That’s why I don’t regard America’s growing political polarization as a good trend. It limits our choices — and many people’s thinking — to “economic freedom (sort-of) plus theocratic social controls” versus “social freedom (sort-of) plus fascist economic controls.” Alas, the statist elements seem to be growing in both parties of late.

Instead, people need a clear choice of freedom versus statist controls in all areas of life. Nonetheless, the widening gap is fascinating… and there’s more in the Pew Study too. (The year-by-year animated graph is pretty nifty.) I’d just like to see data for more than 20 years!

tN_QSRjuWPs

Link to Original

Seven questions are about economic liberty, one about military strength, one about the value of immigrants, and one about homosexuality.

If I were to answer those questions, I would be right on the border between "consistently conservative" and "mostly conservative". Even though I firmly reject the "theocratic social controls" OP claims the "conservative" half of the respondents stands for.

What's the point of writing all that speculation down and posting it all over the Internet, if you're not gonna check the poll questions it's based on?

Edited by Nicky