Objectivism Online Forum

Triumph of the Human Spirit

Rate this topic

dream_weaver

Which is the monument to the triumph of the human spirit over matter: the germ-eaten hovels on the shorelines of the Ganges or the Atlantic skyline of New York? - Galt's Speech, Atlas Shrugged

The grandson of Jacque Crusoe is undertaking to break a record, remaining in an underwater laboratory at the bottom of the ocean for 31 days, one day longer than his grandfather set in 1963.

In 2012, Felix Baumgartner ascended on a balloon for over 2 hours and over 24 miles, to near the dividing line of earth's atmosphere from outer space, where he stepped off the platform to fall back to earth in a specially designed spacesuit along with a parachute to complete his journey. (As reported by Yahoo and The Objective Standard.)

In no small feat of human endurance, "[a] South African couple made a big splash Friday when they capped an incredible six-month, 6,500-mile journey from Morocco to the Big Apple — via row boat."

Individuals set out to climb Mount Everest, circumnavigate the globe, swim the English channel, Accomplishments such as these can serve to inspire and motivate. These folk, having chosen their respective goals - actualized them.

In addition to the human endurance factor, some of these accomplishments needed to rely on technological advances to make their success possible.

• 4 weeks later...

40-Year-Old Mom Becomes New Orleans Saints' Cheerleader

Lewis was not just fighting against her age but also against a health issue that she says she turned into an inspiration instead of an obstacle. “Fourteen years ago I was diagnosed with polysistic kidney disease,” Lewis said. “Eventually my kidneys will shut down [and] I will be in need of dialysis and in need of a transplant.” “That had a lot to do with me auditioning as well,” she said. “I didn’t want to waste a day.”

Fabien Cousteau’s undersea mission in Florida Keys concludes with significant accomplishments

Cousteau admitted he symbolically picked 31 days to break his grandfather’s record by one day only as a way of attracting media attention and sponsorships. He said this mission never was really about a record — Jacques-Yves Cousteau didn’t even live under the sea during that mission (he coordinated it from the topside support on his famed boat Calypso). And the all-time underwater record is 69 days and 19 minutes set in 1992 by Richard Presley, who lived in an underwater habitat in a lagoon in Key Largo.

This is a follow-up to the earlier entry. Mission successful, yes. Triumph of the Human Spirit? No, This just provided a little extra media attention.