Objectivism Online Forum

A new TAX for the Collective Good

Rate this topic

kuuipo

I could not believe what I heard this morning about New Jersey passing a new tax on plastic surgery. It is like a cigarette tax and the Representative says it is for the collective good and all proceeds will go to fund a bankrupt state health care system. All my brain could manage to sputter out was "HOW DARE THEY!" and "WHY DIDN'T SOMEONE FIGHT THIS!" I guess it has just become the status quo and no one pays much attention any more. They could be doing the same kind of thing here in Texas and I wouldn't know it because, like others, I am busy trying to survive and pay my bills, so I cannot really throw stones.

And furthermore, what an idiotic law. How do they define "plastic" surgery? Do they mean "elective" surgery? How do you define that?! It's a "plastic" term. :pirate:

If they do mean "elective" surgery, the only thing you must do to avoid paying the tax is to come up with some reason why you "need" the surgery . . . "My bazooms aren't big enough and it's hurting my self esteem! You're taxing me because I have a low self-esteem! That's not fair!"

What a crock.

Lovely.  Is plastic surgery a "vice" now?  Why?

Because the only people who can afford it are the people who have committed the sin of being successful and productive. I guess making money is a sin.

Hey if it's a sin to be rich then the poor should be happy for being virtuous. But then again. . . by hogging up all the virtue for themselves, aren't they then being greedy?

That tax is another terrible law by the way.

And furthermore, what an idiotic law.  How do they define "plastic" surgery?  Do they mean "elective" surgery?  How do you define that?!

Since you asked...

Any medical procedure performed on a individual which is directed at improving the procedure subject's appearance and which does not meaningfully promote the proper function of the body or prevent or treat illness or disease. "Cosmetic medical procedure" includes but is not limited to cosmetic surgery, hair transplants, cosmetic injections, cosmetic soft tissue fillers, dermabrasion and chemical peel, laser hair removal, laser skin resurfacing, laser treatment of leg veins, sclerotherapy, and cosmetic dentistry. "Cosmetic medical procedure" does not include reconstructive surgery or dentistry

So if your nose gets shot off, it's not taxable, but if you have a really big schnoz or something that's really small, add 6%. They don't mean elective surgery: they do mean cosmetic surgery (as defined).

"My bazooms aren't big enough and it's hurting my self esteem!  You're taxing me because I have a low self-esteem!  That's not fair!"

Oh, come now, surely they wouldn't tax self-esteem raising actions. Well, let me just quote a little bit more of the statute.

"Cosmetic surgery" means the surgical reshaping of normal structures on the body to improve the body image, self-esteem or appearance of an individual.

I'm guessing there's going to be a lot of New Jersians going out-of-state for their plastic surgery. Anyone remember the luxury tax that put the domestic yacht-building industry out-of-business? Same thing. If I were a plastic surgeon in New Jersey, I'd be getting licensed in Pennsylvania, New York, Delaware or Maryland, 'cause that's where the business will go.

I'm guessing there's going to be a lot of New Jersians going out-of-state for their plastic surgery.  Anyone remember the luxury tax that put the domestic yacht-building industry out-of-business?  Same thing.  If I were a plastic surgeon in New Jersey, I'd be getting licensed in Pennsylvania, New York, Delaware or Maryland, 'cause that's where the business will go.

Seems the evidence self. Prices for plastic surgery will rise 6% in New Jersy, people will go to neighbouring states to have their surgery done. + when you have a tax you need people to collect the tax, an administration keeping account, inspectors, legal procedures against people who don't pay etc. Seems somebody wants to go to a lot of effort to collect peanuts. Maybe the whole will have a negative return.

As a testiment to the way people such as the law-makers and their New Jersean subjects think:

New Jersy has a ridiculous law about pumping gas. A driver is not allowed to pump his own gas in New Jersy. A TA of mine was using the law as an example when he said that the law was necessary, because if NJ made pumping your own gas legal, all those whose job it was to pump the gas would be out of work.

I find it funny in remembering the old fad of "Dumb Laws" websites that those of New Jersy are most probably true.