Objectivism Online Forum

Ayn Rand on humans rights quote

Rate this topic

Alpharius_333

Greetings!

I’m looking for one particular Ayn Rand’s quote (was unable to find it using Google) – about that individual’s rights are his/her alone, and it’s not for anyone else to bestow them upon him/her. Something like: “And if someone decides to grant people their own rights, then any self-respecting individual will throw them back at him – because individual’s rights are not his to give”.

I think it’s from "Atlas Shrugged", but it may be as well from some of her articles.

Thank you in advance.

Yes, from page 1101 of the kindle version of Atlas Shrugged where John Galt has been taken into custody by the government and Mr. Thompson offers him Wesley Mouch's job as the country's Economic planner.  The quote actually goes like this:

"All right, put it your own way: I don't want to.  I don't want to be an Economic Dictator, not even long enough to issue that order for people to be free-which any rational human being would throw back in my face, because he'd know that his rights are not to be held, given or received by your permission or mine."