Objectivism Online Forum

Trend?

Rate this topic

I've noticed since I came here that more and more people are adding their real names to their sigs; I did when I wandered over and I've seen at least 8 people that are also doing it.

So, my question is, were you doing it before? And if not, why start now?

I've noticed since I came here that more and more people are adding their real names to their sigs; I did when I wandered over and I've seen at least 8 people that are also doing it.

So, my question is, were you doing it before?  And if not, why start now?

I don't know if I was doing it before but I didn't start because of you. I just started doing it because I was creating my signature one day (I went for months without one) and decided that was one thing that should be in it.

I also had neglected my signature for a long time (although I don't have many posts, I read this forum quite a bit). I've decided to try to participate more in this forum, and, while uploading my avatar, I also decided to include my name as my signature.

Ms. Snow never implied it was a problem.

- P. Text

Exactly. I was just curious to know whether anyone could identify why they decided to include their name. This is the only forum I've visited where several people did so.

Exactly.  I was just curious to know whether anyone could identify why they decided to include their name.  This is the only forum I've visited where several people did so.

In my introduction, you can see where I had a brief dilemma over whether to use my name or a nick. I am trying to build a presence online (hence the website et al.) but at the same time sometimes it's fun to operate under a pseudonym so that you can give a little more personality to your "image" and also to set the tone of your comments, since on the internet we are deprived of body language. But I am certainly proud of what I produce, even if I start from a place of obvious ignorance I am honestly trying to move into the place whare I "know", so I am not ashamed of the things I might say in ignorance (neccessarily-certainly I wish I knew everything. but of course I can't and I don't think that shames my *name*) It's a matter of pride-what you put your name on. I think this is certainly a place of pride for many people. That's why I went back and forth before deciding to use a pseudonym, because I am proud of my name-but the character of Dominique, has a flavor to it that I like,and maybe even adds a dimension that everyone here-hopefully-understands. I guess my explanation would be-we aren't exactly a bunch of *shrinking violets* here. Honesty is key, and including your name is a voucher of authenticity. "I said that" so to speak :worry: Also a recognition of the pseudonym as *not reality* and keeping it in it's proper place (as a descriptive-or stylistic accessory).

Haha, that's my humble opinion anyway.

-Sarah Beth Cole

So, my question is, were you doing it before?  And if not, why start now?

No, but I just did. I suppose that it’s because I am proud of my name :thumbsup:

P.S.: There is a "name" field in your profile. If you are going to provide your name in your signature, please enter it in your profile as well so others can search for you.

I was never quite sure what to put into the Signature spot with these profiles and forums, seeing as how so many people include pictures or quotes. But I usually end up putting my name, simply because of the fact that I don't want to be referred to by a screen name. And in some instances, it makes awkward introductions that much easier. :thumbsup:

No, but I just did.  I suppose that it’s because I am proud of my name  B)

You should be. You have a cool name :)

I never thought of putting mine in before, but I am now!

Names are awesome. Here are some of my favorites:

Juan-Carlos Lotharios (a customer of mine)

Legba Carrefour (some guy I knew a few years ago)

Ponce de Leon

Ragnar Danneskjold

Pelle Almqvist (of The Hives)

Lucy Lawless

If you have a cool name, too, please include it, so that I may have an abundance of mirth and rapture every time I mouth it to myself! :huh:

*jumps in the air and clicks his heels together a la "Singin' in the Rain!"*

Edited by dondigitalia

For me it is this: I never chose my name. I would have loved to have been named Carlos Andres Oropoderoso. However, my mother's maiden name is Gainza (but she never married my father). And my father is a scoundrel, lying, dead beat, etc. f! etc. So Jose Gainza is the name I would like my government to recognize. However, for years I've been playing with the idea of changing my name to Paine Sailor. If we ever have sex, or if I ever publish a novel, I will tell you what 'americonorman' means for me.

Americo, Paine Sailor, Jose Gainza.

This trend should have started long ago. I actually use my real name as my nick most of the time. Privacy online is mostly an illusion, and since I have nothing to hide, I don't bother inventing cool nicks.

As a teenager I used to be TheGrin, though. Inspired by Stephen King's It. :D

I think a real name and a cool quote is the standard practice, as far as signatures are concerned. ;)

Edited by erandror