Objectivism Online Forum

Reblogged: NoodleCast #315: Anarchism’s Case Against Government, Spo

Rate this topic

On Sunday’s episode of Philosophy in Action Radio, I answered questions on anarchism’s case against government, the value of sportsmanship, sleeping around, and more with Greg Perkins. The podcast of that episode is now available for streaming or downloading. You’ll find it on the episode’s archive page, as well as below.

Remember, you can automatically download podcasts of Philosophy in Action Radio by subscribing to Philosophy in Action’s Podcast RSS Feed:

Podcast: Anarchism’s Case Against Government, Sportsmanship, Sleeping Around, and More

Listen or Download:

support.jpg

Remember, with every episode of Philosophy in Action Radio, we show how rational philosophy can help you find joy in your work, model virtue for your kids, pursue your goals effectively, communicate with respect, and advocate for a free society. We can’t do that without your support, so please remember to
tip your philosopher
!

You can download or listen to my answers to individual questions from this episode below.

Introduction (0:00)

My News of the Week: The “personhood” measures lost in North Dakota and Colorado!

Question 1: Anarchism’s Case Against Government (7:01)

In this segment, I answered a question on anarchism’s case against government.

Does the government monopoly on the use of force violate rights? Anarchist libertarians have long argued that a rights-respecting government is a contradiction in terms. A government, by its very nature, must have a monopoly on the use of force. That must be a coercive monopoly, since the government will not permit competition in the form of any competing defense agencies advocated by anarchists. Hence, government will always violate rights. What is wrong – if anything – with this argument? I’ve never gotten a good answer, despite often inquiring about it. Moreover, what assurances do we have that this government monopoly will not behave like other monopolies, such that it gets out of control, increases costs, and eventually fails?

My Answer, In Brief: The anarchist argument that government violates rights by outlawing competing defense agencies is deeply rationalistic, imagines an unrealistic market in force, and ignores the threat to rights posed by competing defense agencies.

Listen or Download:

Links:

To comment on this question or my answer, visit its comment thread.

Question 2: The Value of Sportsmanship (29:35)

In this segment, I answered a question on the value of sportsmanship.

What is the meaning and value of sportsmanship? Kids are often taught – or not taught – to be “good sports.” What does that mean? What’s the value in that? More broadly, what’s a healthy versus unhealthy attitude toward competition in life – not just in sports, but also work, hobbies, friendship, and so on?

My Answer, In Brief: The root of good sportmanship is a growth mindset. That’s what parents and coaches should encourage above all else.

Listen or Download:

Links:

Question 3: Sleeping Around (51:06)

In this segment, I answered a question on sleeping around.

Why would anyone even want to sleep around? Ayn Rand used Francisco D’Anconia to describe her view of sexuality in Atlas Shrugged, but while her explanation was easy enough to understand, there were some things she left out. Namely: why would someone, anyone, sleep around? I’ve met, and read articles by, women who describe their experiences in the “hookup” culture, and across the board they agree that most of the men they slept with were poor lovers who cared little for them once the act was finished. I know men like this in real life who seem surprised at how unfulfilling their sex lives (admittedly much more active than mine) really are. So I have to ask: why would someone choose to have sex with someone when they know, or at least have good reason to believe, that the person has no actual interest in them personally?

My Answer, In Brief: Casual sex might not be the best sex out there, but it can be of value, and it can be moral.

Listen or Download:

Rapid Fire Questions (57:09)

In this segment, I answered questions impromptu. The questions were:
  • Was Oskar Schindler an altruist?
  • Could you give a brief overview of Stoicism and its good versus bad points?

Listen or Download:

To comment on these questions or my answers, visit
its comment thread

Conclusion (1:05:47)

Be sure to check out the topics
scheduled for upcoming episodes
! Don’t forget to
submit and vote on questions
for future episodes too!

About Philosophy in Action Radio

Philosophy in Action Radio applies rational principles to the challenges of real life in live internet radio shows on Sunday mornings and Thursday evenings. For information on upcoming shows, visit the Episodes on Tap. For podcasts of past shows, visit the Show Archives.

support.jpgRemember, with every episode of Philosophy in Action Radio, we show how rational philosophy can help you find joy in your work, model virtue for your kids, pursue your goals effectively, communicate with respect, and advocate for a free society. We can’t do that without your support, so please remember to tip your philosopher!

Philosophy in Action's NewsletterPhilosophy in Action's Facebook PagePhilosophy in Action's Twitter StreamPhilosophy in Action's RSS FeedsPhilosophy in Action's Calendar
92ZAqe7oVtQ

Link to Original