Objectivism Online Forum

Ayn Rand’s Early Novel ‘Ideal’ To Be Published After 80 Years

c_prompt

http://blogs.wsj.com/speakeasy/2014/12/03/ayn-rands-early-novel-ideal-to-be-published-after-80-years/

FTA:

"Ayn Rand fans, here’s something to whet your appetites: New American Library has released the cover image for “Ideal,” the first Ayn Rand novel to be published in more than 50 years...

“Ideal” tells the story of a screen actress who is accused of murder and visits six of her most devoted fans to ask for help. In 1934, when she was in her late 20s, Rand first wrote “Ideal” as a work of fiction.

But Rand was dissatisfied with it and set it aside. The same year, she rewrote it as a play. The play didn’t have its New York premiere until 2010 – 66 years after she wrote it."

Preorders on Amazon

The play was also produced in LA in 1989, directed and produced by Michael Paxton, who also made the documentary Ayn Rand: a Sense of Life.  It has some of her most beautiful imagery, and it's about Garbo, one of my all-time favorite people, so I'm looking forward to it.  My surmise is that when she wrote it she was beginning to wonder if her career would ever get off the ground and that this is why it's so bitter.