Objectivism Online Forum

Beautiful objects

Rate this topic

It all started just before christmass. At the christmass market a the local shopping mall, there was a cutler. He designs and makes all the knives himself. I like thing of beauty especially if they are of original design and hand-made. I really appreciated his designes and liked to watch the video where you saw him at work.

My mother noticed my interest and bought me one of his folding knives for christmass.

post-977-1107462464_thumb.jpg

That was all it took, a new collectors craze was born. I bought my first languiole yesterday. The most elegant of all folding knives.

post-977-1107462487_thumb.jpg

post-977-1107462504_thumb.jpg

I like knives because they are probably the first engineerd and designed tool of mankind. I like the idea of possesing an object made by someone who tought about the practical use of his creation, who looks for the best steel, who tries to get the most of of that steel, who combines the blade and the materials of the handle in an aesthetical union and who combines elegance of use with elegance of aspect.

What's your pet object?

In one of my previous places of employment, I met a pen maker. Coincidentally I was a writer. We seemed to have a rapport. Ironically his name was Shilo Rapp of RappWriting in Toronto. He knew that I wanted to be a writer.

When I left that job I received one of the most thoughtful gifts I have ever received, and from an almost stranger. The pen looked like a fat missile made out of mahogany wood except for a groove in the wood somewhere past the middle to rest one's pointing finger. I was so surprised that he gave me this pen. It is a beautiful pen. This is one of my favorite objects.

I didn't seem to find a website to link you to a picture.

Jose.

In one of my previous places of employment, I met a pen maker.  Coincidentally I was a writer.  We seemed to have a rapport.  Ironically his name was Shilo Rapp of RappWriting in Toronto.  He knew that I wanted to be a writer.

When I left that job I received one of the most thoughtful gifts I have ever received, and from an almost stranger.  The pen looked like a fat missile made out of mahogany wood except for a groove in the wood somewhere past the middle to rest one's pointing finger.  I was so surprised that he gave me this pen.  It is a beautiful pen.  This is one of my favorite objects.

I didn't seem to find a website to link you to a picture.

Jose.

Oh yah, the pen is called the Lula Twist.

Americo.

I love books so much!

I read more than most people, but not a whole lot. Physical books, however, I adore. I like the idea of owning information, of holding it in my hands, and caefully storing it away. If you were to completely surround yourself with my books you'd be standing in the middle of my brain. I buy books because they connect to a concept/idea I've learned, am exploring, or have thought through on my own. I have over 250 crammed in my little dorm, but I keep loving them, even if I end up using them as furniture.

The greatest sense of peace I've ever known is walking into a bookstore, and it is so infused with books that you can even smell them. :D Mmmm...the smell of happiness.

~Amanda :huh:

Edit: to add heart icon.

Edited by Aurelia

I would have to say I have a *class* of "pet" objects. Basically it includes anything electronic. The more innovative the technology that is involved the more I love it. It could be an HDTV, a high-end computer, a dvd player. a navigation system in a vehicle, the list could go on and on.

I love what these things can do. I enjoy the complexity of the circuitry involved. I love the theory and physics that allows these things to be created. I have the highest respect for the innumerable human minds,the men, that had to design, engineer, and create these products. I think things such as these represent so vividly and concretely what a clear and rationally thinking man can accomplish that at times I'm almost overtaken with emotion when I really think about it. I love these things on so many different levels, practical, philosophical, and scientific that it truly makes me understand the full significance of Objectivism and my love of life.

Oh yah, the pen is called the Lula Twist.

Americo.

I don't think I need to see the pen. Just mouthing the words Lula Twist is enough smile for me. :huh:

In regard to David's picture: um... What is it?

Anyway, I love anything with a giraffe on it. I have several paintings of giraffes, giraffe figurines, a comedic stuffed giraffe with oversized legs that makes me lol, a wooden giraffe decorative mask, and a set of those Russian eggs where one fits inside the other (I don't know what they're called), which have giraffes painted on them. If I could, I'd have a pet giraffe.

I think David's object is a modem he built himself, and that he took the picture in the dark to show of the super-cool lighting. :) I have the greatest respect for anyone who can build their own computer. I am actually illiterate when it comes to computers, thinking about taking classes on it. bleh :P

BTW Their called russian nesting dolls.

~Amanda :lol:

I think David's object is a modem he built himself, and that he took the picture in the dark to show of the super-cool lighting. :)  I have the greatest respect for anyone who can build their own computer. I am actually illiterate when it comes to computers, thinking about taking classes on it. bleh  :P

BTW Their called russian nesting dolls.

~Amanda  :lol:

Gotcha! That is very cool. I don't think I've ever actually made anything myself, unless putting together something from IKEA counts.

Thanks for giving me the name of my eggs... er, dolls. I'm not so sure how I feel about be a man who owns dolls... :P

I love books so much!

I read more than most people, but not a whole lot. Physical books, however, I adore. I like the idea of owning information, of holding it in my hands, and caefully storing it away. If you were to completely surround yourself with my books you'd be standing in the middle of my brain. I buy books because they connect to a concept/idea I've learned, am exploring, or have thought through on my own. I have over 250 crammed in my little dorm, but I keep loving them, even if I end up using them as furniture.

The greatest sense of peace I've ever known is walking into a bookstore, and it is so infused with books that you can even smell them.  :P  Mmmm...the smell of happiness.

~Amanda :lol:

Edit: to add heart icon.

Yes, I love my books too. Though I buy books that I will read, I have many that I haven't read. But I love: My various copies of AS with sticky notes and margin notes, that one day I will analyze. My complete works of Schiller, falling apart but satisfying translation. My new little book of Byron poems. My recent Ogden Nash Pocket Book, which I've been waiting for years to find at a used bookstore. My copies of The Objectivist Newsletter, The Objectivist, The Ayn Rand Letter, and The Objectivist forum. And my series of Maria Montessori books that I will not touch for years. Yes, I too love my books.

Americo.

The most beautiful object that I see and use on a daily basis is my iPod. I love the white front and the reflective back. The design is extraordinarily simple, yet very powerful. And I love the fact that I walk around with almost 800 pieces of music in my pocket (and I'm only at 25% of its storage capacity) :lol:.

The speaker I built last summer with my old room mate. A project I had been planning for a long time, very happy to complete one half of it.

post-335-1107666006_thumb.jpg

The woofer (lower large driver) is my pride & joy: materials include a woven carbon fiber cone and thick butyl rubber surround. Carbon fiber is a light yet rigid composite, which helps the driver reach higher decibel levels easier (through its light weight) and reduces distortion (a product of reduced cone flexing, due to increased rigidity). Butyl rubber, same rubber used in the soles of shoes, works as a damper, returning the cone to equilibrium quickly after excursion (movement) for tighter bass response.

Oh and my guitar's in the pic too.

The most beautiful object that I see and use on a daily basis is my iPod.  I love the white front and the reflective back.  The design is extraordinarily simple, yet very powerful.  And I love the fact that I walk around with almost 800 pieces of music in my pocket (and I'm only at 25% of its storage capacity) :).

Here, here!

The speaker I built last summer with my old room mate.  A project I had been planning for a long time, very happy to complete one half of it.

post-335-1107666006_thumb.jpg

The woofer (lower large driver) is my pride & joy: materials include a woven carbon fiber cone and thick butyl rubber surround.  Carbon fiber is a light yet rigid composite, which helps the driver reach higher decibel levels easier (through its light weight) and reduces distortion (a product of reduced cone flexing, due to increased rigidity).  Butyl rubber, same rubber used in the soles of shoes, works as a damper, returning the cone to equilibrium quickly after excursion (movement) for tighter bass response.

Oh and my guitar's in the pic too.

David,

I haven't found you around for so long. I enjoyed your sense of life; like, when you described the something electronic that you built: I understood your enthusiasm. I found myself sometimes-rarely-wondering about you ... when on this forum. Welcome back ... if indeed you have been gone. As you might find my "rubber" lately has been my poetry.

Soy sincero,

Jose. (Americo)

The most beautiful object that I see and use on a daily basis is my iPod.  I love the white front and the reflective back.  The design is extraordinarily simple, yet very powerful.  And I love the fact that I walk around with almost 800 pieces of music in my pocket (and I'm only at 25% of its storage capacity) :).

I got an iPos mini for my birthday and must say it's an elegant design. Once I got used to the interface, it became almost instinctive. The interface is so bacis and yet so powerful.

I also would have to add my Nokia 6800 to the list of my favorite objects. It really does do everything I need including keeping track of my schedule and handling my email needs during the day. A real plus is I use it to keep track calender and contact wise with my wedding. Which surprisiingly enough (for me that is since it's my first and only) has been a logistical nightmare. Just about the only thing I haven't used it for is surfing this site.

There is a real grace and elagance in the way it flips open to do exactly what I need (ie messaging and calendaeing) and running my contact manger (I''m in sales) that my laptop used to do. Plus add the compactness compared to my old Palm/phone and then Treo used to solve it's a beautiful object.

There is a real grace and elagance in the way it flips open to do exactly what I need (ie messaging and calendaeing) and running my contact manger (I''m in sales) that my laptop used to do. Plus add the compactness compared to my old Palm/phone and then Treo used to solve it's a beautiful object.

Same sentiment I described in my OP, the joy of discovering aesthetic elegance in functional elegance.

Notice how almost objects mentioned are tributes to crafstmenship and/or engeneering. Coincidence? :nuke:

The pocket knives are getting more and more meaning to me. In the old days, it where faithfull companions. Gentlemen would carry it in their pocket to cut their food while on travel because knifes at the inns where usualy of bad quality or not available(forks didn't even exist then). Sheperds used it for all cutting purposes: to cut their bread, cheese and meat, to carve their initials in their tools, to cut the branches to repair their baskets, if needed to do some surgery on their sheep and of course for self defence. Some knive makers even put croses on the handle so it could be used as a portable chapel.

Seems to me like a symbol of the fate of man. You're out there, alone on your mountain. Although you've got many tools, there's one most important, one that never leaves your side: your mind. If you protect it from rust and keep it sharp, it will serve you wel. If it becomes blunt, it maybe dangerous to use.

Edited by White Eurocentric Male

This is slightly off topic. It was written after hearing someone one a TV show speak as though Christianity had a monopoly on love.

I Love

I love the leaves dancing with the air;

I love the sun catching women's hair;

I love the trains roaring into town;

I love the towers spiring all around.

I love the bright-faced shops with winking jewels displayed;

I love the factories stacking, proud of what they've made;

I love the city lights, the glass-cubed nights,

the dreams unsleeping that outrace the dawn;

I love my babe's first step, my boy's first job,

my girl of science thinking on and on;

I love good work, love my life, I love this earth.

I love the clouds changing, gathering, blackening to storm;

I love the multitudes of thunder blasting deep, in form.

I love the daisies, dandelions, roses, silv'ry now with rain;

I love the fresh sweet smell of life when sunshafts shoot again.

I love the streets, lawns, fields and parks

Where children leap and swing----"Push, swing higher! Toe a leaf!"

I love the screams of wild delight----"Swing higher! See!" that know no grief.

I love the hands that shape some clay into a laughing maze;

I love the mind that has its way----creative pride ablaze.

I love the singer singing sweeter, longer,

the song's words making hearts beat stronger;

I love the rugged tales of heroes undefeated

who battle on till everything's completed;

I love the peace at night in a quiet space;

I love the eyes of cheer in my mirror's face;

I love hard work, I love my life, I love this earth.

I love the trucks and cars, sputt-utt-purring in the morn;

I love the sparrows cheeping as if they'd just been born;

I love the ice in winter lying on the wires,

and the wires' strength that hardly ever tires;

I love the tree that stands alone, needing but dirt and sky;

I love the person who stands alone, who needs no others by;

I love the righteous will that does what it must do;

I love the self that chooses, and to itself is true;

I love my self, I love my flesh, I love this earth.

I love my competence, my striving to do better;

I love to think my best, speaking, writing song, poem or letter.

I love rewards for my good work; I love money, silver, gold;

I love the crinkle, jingle, clink for all I've bought and sold.

I love walking down the street, running up a hill,

Tumbling on the grass, lying on the earth, breathing it in;

I love the feel of joy in thighs and chest and chin.

I love the truth, I love the beautiful, I love reality;

I love logic, I love sight, I love love.

I love and I love and I love.

I love the child who wakes up singing;

Though shouts of "Quiet!" try to make him wrong,

He proudly leaves the house and fills the sky with song.

I love the girl who's judged just what she wants----

No matter what the price, it is like gold,

Because her thinking makes it worth her hold.

I live the young man cashing his first check----

He knows he earned it, feels himself supreme,

And trusts himself to realize every dream.

I love the man, the man who knows his worth;

His thoughts, his feelings, actions, all----his own;

All confidence, competence, effort, gain, are in his mirror shown.

I love machines; each activating part

Precisely put together, like a heart

In smoothly-working perfect health

That beats and clicks and beats for wealth----

Wealth of power, speed and youth,

Accomplishing the highest truth,

The truth that's in the wheel sped----

Invention is man's fountainhead.

I love this pen that's in my hand,

I love this paper marked with ink;

I love the things I understand,

I love the thoughts I love to think.

I love the sky, I love myself, I love this earth;

Brian Faulkner

This is slightly off topic.  It was written after hearing someone one a TV show speak as though Christianity had a monopoly on love.

I Love

I love good work,  love my life, I love this earth.

Where children leap and swing----"Push, swing higher!  Toe a leaf!"

I love the screams of wild delight----"Swing higher!  See!" that know no grief.

Brian Faulkner

Once again I must say, "wow!"

And ask the question, "how?"

Americo.

BUROFRE021.JPG

My favorite and most beautiful object is the most expensive thing I have ever bought for myself (mine is actually light blue but this is the most accurate picture I could find) because everytime I look at it I am very proud to be able to buy it. It's also a lot of fun to drive. B)

Same sentiment I described in my OP, the joy of discovering aesthetic elegance in functional elegance.

Notice how almost objects mentioned are tributes to crafstmenship and/or engeneering. Coincidence? :D

True craftsmanship in an object that was obviously designed and constructed by someone who embraces the object is always beautiful. I think this is especially true of everyday objects. It's the marriage of form and function expressed gracefully.

Gentlemen would carry it in their pocket to cut their food while on travel because knifes at the inns where usualy of bad quality or not available(forks didn't even exist then). 

The same is true about pocket watches I have. I don't carry one regularly but they do make really nice additions to a formal outfit. I also have some tools that my grandfather made for use at his sawmill. Since you couldn't exactly run to the Ace and get a tool in the boonies, he fashioned his own. They are lovely and have a beautiful patina from years of use.

I think one of the things that makes something particularly beautiful is the ability to be last more than 1 generation. I wear a Citizen Eco Drive daily. I marvel at such a beautifyl thin watch is solar powered. However, I know I won't be handing it down to my son. It just doens't have the "weightiness" of my grandfathers pocketwatches.

This is slightly off topic.  It was written after hearing someone one a TV show speak as though Christianity had a monopoly on love.

I Love

I love good work,  love my life, I love this earth.

Where children leap and swing----"Push, swing higher!  Toe a leaf!"

I love the screams of wild delight----"Swing higher!  See!" that know no grief.

Brian Faulkner

Brian,

Fist off, it is a pleasure to meet a mind like yours. Being a poetess myself, your poem really touched me. All those things you speak of and more, is what makes life worth living....

I just want to commend you on your work and hope you continue to do more!!

Do you have any other peoms you've written?

~~ Carrie

BUROFRE021.JPG

My favorite and most beautiful object is the most expensive thing I have ever bought for myself (mine is actually light blue but this is the most accurate picture I could find) because everytime I look at it I am very proud to be able to buy it.  It's also a lot of fun to drive.  :)

I love the Range Rover better, based on what it looks, but the Land Rover is still quite beautiful.

Americo.