Objectivism Online Forum

ITOE, Ch. 1: Axioms as Related to Consciousness

Rate this topic

dondigitalia

My understanding (now  :)) is that an axiomatic concept is one that depends on no others.  Thus existence (as a concept) is axiomatic, while consciousness and identity depend on it.  "In order to be conscious you must be conscious of SOMETHING, a consciousness conscious of nothing but itself is a contradiction in terms."  Likewise, "If a SOMETHING exists, then it must EXIST."

I wonder how this relates to the Primacy of Existence. It might be useful re-read the section in OPAR about the it while keeping the above in mind with the hopes of integrating the two topics.

• 2 weeks later...
And although I hesitate to talk about volition on the preconceptual level--because the subject isn't aware of it in those terms--even a preconceptual infant has the power to look around or not look, to listen or not listen.  He has a certain minimal, primitive form of volition over the function of his senses.  But volition in the full sense of a conscious choice, and a choice which he can observe by introspection, begins when he forms concepts--at the stage where he has sufficient conceptual vocabulary to begin to form sentences and draw conclusions . . .

I just read that today. :)