Objectivism Online Forum

The Wind Rises - Life Affirming film

Rate this topic

volco

Le vent se leve (Il faut tenter de vivre) 

The wind rises (we gotta try to live) 

I just watched such a beautiful film in the big screen that I just had to share with other people who have been moved by Ayn Rand's works. 

It includes love for life, for one's own dreams, and even hero worship. I even think it is Romantic Realism for many reasons. 

The film recounts the story of Jiro, a pioneer aeronautical engineer/designer from his early childhood to his ultimate success

Jiro loves airplanes and believe they are machines too beautiful for war, he dreams of commercial airliners as he studies his Heroes in the West. 

But he was born not only in Japan but in the dawn of the 20th century. War was the only writing in the wall. 

At beginning of the film Jiro's Hero asks him what I consider the most brilliant quote:

Would you prefer to live in a World with or without Pyramids? 

Nice sentiment on the surface, but the pyramids were actually built by slaves.  Physical slaves to totalitarianism and mental slaves to religion and mysticism.  Had they been built by tradespeople who were paid on the free market for their labors by a person who had gained their wealth not through conquest and dictatorship... they would be very inspiring objects to behold.

That said, the movie sounds great!

In fact you got that right! I think, since it's not made apparent in the movie.

Would you prefer to live in a world with magnificent beautiful things (that are made possible by ugliness), or in a World without Pyramids (technology) at all? Well at least that's how I understood it. 

It really is a fantastic movie, very recommendable. 

Nice sentiment on the surface, but the pyramids were actually built by slaves.  Physical slaves to totalitarianism and mental slaves to religion and mysticism.  Had they been built by tradespeople who were paid on the free market for their labors by a person who had gained their wealth not through conquest and dictatorship... they would be very inspiring objects to behold.

That said, the movie sounds great!

http://www.dailypaul.com/313086/robots-now-are-the-airplanes-of-miyazakis-the-wind-rises