Objectivism Online Forum

Thoughts on Jade Helm 15

Rate this topic

So I've been watching the Jade Helm news closely since I first learned about it around a month ago and while some of the Youtube type stuff is clearly conspiracy type stuff the scope, scale, and details of this summers operation are still clearly potentially worrisome at a minimum.

I'll wait to say some of my thoughts on the subject for later but I mostly want to start a discussion on the subject here and see what other Objectivist's thinking and opinions on the subject are as of now.

I'll provide a couple of links and you can do your own Google or probably better from my experience Youtube searches on the subject to familiarize yourself with it if you aren't currently.

Both of these are from today with the first a pretty good general explanation of what's going on from a more or less neutral standpoint and the second a piece from the people who originally broke the story that could be closer to the "conspiracy" side of things although they are generally rational and factual in most places.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGH6yyafwz0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUe92AB9h2Y

Wow no comments in two days on a huge event that could be a manifestation of the situation Peikoff warned us about in The Ominous Parallels?

Wow no comments in two days on a huge event that could be a manifestation of the situation Peikoff warned us about in The Ominous Parallels?

I wish there was a web site where I could bet real money against conspiracy folk and be sure I'd be paid when I win my way to millions. Also, against other doomsayers like the Mayan end-of-days people. Edited by softwareNerd

This event is real and confirmed by the military though. It's not nonsense like chemtrails and HARRP. Even if the military doesn't institute martial law or any of worst fears happen it's still a huge issue that they are using large swaths of the nation for a training ground not to mention something as simple as conditioning us to having a military presence in our backyards.

Any actual fall into dictatorship is going to look exactly like this (not saying this is the actual event). This is exactly the type of operation and conditioning a potentially tyrannical government would do if it was attempting to slowly enslave a free nation.

Edited by EC

I'd expect this type of reaction from an average citizen who doesn't know/believe the prevailing philosophy in the nation and world at large is leading us to dictatorship but not from O'ist's who do.

Where do you think military bases are located, if not in our own backyards. Prior to Desert Storm, one of the members of a small group that gathered for coffee once a week mentioned that the Air National Guard was up to something. He said that the cargo planes were taking off full and landing empty almost hourly. He lived close enough to the base to be able to sense the difference between routine take-off and landing exercises, from laden aircraft.

Growing up, I remember seeing the military convoys traveling along the interstate. I've also taken my daughter to one of the perimeter fences of the ANG to watch the fighter jets and cargo planes practice taking off and landing.

After Sept. 11, a white powder was discovered on the floor in the cafeteria of my daughter's school. With much pomp and circumstance, a haz-mat team was brought in to clean up and identify the substance. Imagine the horror of discovering that it was ordinary flour, often found used in a kitchen.

Training on sequestered lands permit the military to create exercises developed to train individuals for combat. An aspect missing from such exercises would be operations taking place in civilian areas where an enemy military is using schools, hospitals, churches/mosques, etc., as a tactical approach for cover counting on a court of public opinion for sympathy.

Is this a move toward dictatorship, or a watering down (or a refinement???) of military training to go in as a global police force? Is this an act of seasoning our military forces to make them more palatable when placed on the table of the court of public opinion?

Any actual fall into dictatorship is going to look exactly like this (not saying this is the actual event). This is exactly the type of operation and conditioning a potentially tyrannical government would do if it was attempting to slowly enslave a free nation.

If America gets a dictator it will be because enough of its citizens want one. There were yarns like this one in Bill Clinton's time, and in George Bush's time (from scared Dems).

The real delusion is to think that Obama is vastly different from previous U.S. presidents.

Every social order has the potential of falling under tyrannical rule. From my early years, I can recall horror stories of the enslavement of Americans, either from Communists, or from "deranged" American officials from within the military-industrial complex, or "paranoid" personalities, such as President Richard Nixon. So far in my adult life, no one has restricted me from coming and going from my home, or traveling the world, for that matter, and living my life as a normal taxpayer. This is not to say that America has been uncorrupted by its role as the globe enforcer of our current world order. i.e. Pax Americana.

We have entered another phase of history; we are dealing with hostile forces that range from the traditional foreign military-industrial complex, to the unconventional suicidal/homicidal lone wolf. Protection against such a broad range of antagonists and villains requires defenses covering a lot of ground. Vigilance and preparation are necessary for defense against all threats against the United States, its people, and the many governments with which we are allied. Our common experience from the Cold War has established norms for American foreign and domestic policies. Regrettable as these norms they may be, they are norms that would not likely exist if the threat were not real.

The real threat to freedom is our concept of freedom. Freedom is a relatively new concept to the human experience. We often discuss and debate the definition of freedom in human terms here on this forum. Where the federal government of the US chooses to monitor my communications and behavior, I worry less about it today than long ago. If "they" want to throw me in a labor camp, or restrict my movements to traveling only to work and back, "they" will get less value from my actions, ultimately less taxes or value on the revenue, or basically, "they" will kill the proverbial goose that lays the golden eggs of free enterprise. With this in mind, I dismiss those concerned about the Illuminati, the Trilateral Commission, and black helicopters. One less worry means I am free to think about my future.

As for the future of other taxpayer, Americans are prone to supporting and/or creating a social order of debt, the sort of debt that requires ever more time spent at our jobs. The taxpayer in turn feels more entitled to services and money transfers from a government that merely expands its claim on the earnings of future generations of taxpayers, until said taxpayers are exhausted. Such a domestic policy is the real threat to human freedom, and presents a terrible example to set for nations seeking to emulate American "progress." Only when Americans realize this, and stop supporting and creating debt-driven economic Ponzi schemes, then we can avoid the trap of falling into wage-slavery. It's not a conspiracy to impose tyranny; it's an evasion of reality.