Objectivism Online Forum

Thinkprogress reports the Antartic ice shelf will disappear in a few y

Rate this topic

Craig24

Massive Antarctic Ice Shelf Will Disappear in a Few Years according to NASA

Thought I'd pass this along.  Give up your Industrial Civilization now before it's too late.

An Antarctic ice shelf roughly half the size of Rhode Island will disintegrate completely within the next few years, according to a NASA study released Thursday.

The NASA study supports previous research suggesting that Antarctica’s ice shelves are melting at a rate much faster than previously anticipated. In March, research published in Science highlighted the accelerating loss of ice from most of Antarctica’s ice shelves. The melting was most pronounced in the West Antarctic, where losses increased by nearly 70 percent in the last decade. If all the ice that sits on the West Antarctic bedrock is allowed to flow into the ocean, global sea level could rise by nine feet — something that scientists don’t think is likely to happen, though they also aren’t sure how much grounded ice will eventually melt. That will be determined, they say, not only by how much the Earth warms, but by local conditions in Antarctica, including how wind patterns divert warm or cold water to various parts of the continent.

What I can't figure out is how melting sea ice is supposed to cause sea levels to rise. Ice is less dense than water, so the amount of water displaced by the ice should be greater than the volume of water added by the ice melting. Isn't that going to cause sea levels to go down?

Plus the general intellectual dishonesty of warmists is enough for me to dismiss all of their claims.

softwareNerd, on 15 May 2015 - 8:43 PM, said:snapback.png

Apparently a small section is disappearing even as the entire thing has grown to a record size.

Meaning there's probably not much to worry about.

What I can't figure out is how melting sea ice is supposed to cause sea levels to rise. 

Google to the rescue. (Aside: The scientists involved aren't that bad. There are all sorts of experiments and observations that make sense in their own context. The problems, debates and weaknesses are with the broader-scale tying of the micro to the macro... specifically in the assumptions being made.)