Objectivism Online Forum

Fantasia 2000

Rate this topic

Fantasia 2000 is about my 5th or 6th most favorite movie, but I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere in the movie catagory posts. At first, I thought it was because it didn't have any overtly Objectivist themes in it; however, I've just now watched it again and it turns out it does. They are most noticable in the 4th, 6th and 8th(final) segments (The Steadfast Tin Soldier piece, the Yo-yo/Flamingos piece and the metaphorical Mt. St. Helens piece based on The Firebird by Stravinsky, respectively).

So with an almost unique idea (the original Fantasia being the only other in its catagory, that I know of at least), excellent animation skills, wonderful choices and performances in music, and even a few clearly Objectivist themes, the question is: Why hasn't anyone mentioned this among their favorite movies? Is there some major black mark that I've overlooked? Or is it merely a matter of personal taste?

(It'd like to ask similar questions about my 1st and 2nd most favorite films, which are much more obviously Objectivist in nature. However, I think I'll hold on them until I can write reveiws that do them justice.)

Fantasia2000 is not a movie per se, but a collection of short films. As such it will be more appropriate to evaluate each short film, rather than the entire collection. With that said, I think the Tin Soldier short film was amazing, as well as a few others (the Mickey Mouse as Wizard was nice too). However, some other shorties I remember disliking, though I don't remember what they were now.

Fantasia2000 is not a movie per se, but a collection of short films.

Excellent point. There is no overall plot or large scale integration between the segments.

I did enjoy some of it, though. My fave segment was the Gershwin one. The animation was wonderful & used Al Hirschfeld's style to great effect. All the characters & actions were nifty to watch. And in the middle of it there is a pan down a New York street, up a building, into a window, & there's Gershwin playing the piano just like the classic Hirschfeld portrait.

• 2 weeks later...

Personally, I like the Fantasia series. Even if it's an "exercise in art" moreso than art as a whole, it still has very pleasurable moments. I didn't care for the chaotic butterflies with the Beethoven piece, even though there was more story than the rain/cloud/shape piece in the original Fantasia.

8. The Firebird Suite/Mt. St. Helens

... Spring (the creation spirit) never seems to be creating for anyone else's sake, just for her own joy.  The Stag seems to the one who makes her possible, and while he urges her to continue to create (after her work is destroyed) it doesn't seem like he's asking her to live for his sake, but rather to continue living for her own sake (which he derives pleasure from watching). 

As for the Firebird Suite, I absolutely love it. Your evaluation of the intrinsic joy involved with following values is a great observation. Some critics have claimed that this scene is ripped off from the anime Mononoke Hime, which involves a forest god who, during the day, is shaped like a stag and creates life and death with each step. But in the japanese animation, the god not only seems indiscriminate with his power, but vaguely unaware save one scene. Back to the little spirit of spring, you're right in the total joy she expresses at the end. Coupled with the wonderful piece of music, I find it to be quite enjoyable.