Objectivism Online Forum

Would this be plagarism?

Rate this topic

JMeganSnow

I have to write an explanatory essay for an English class and I thought I would most enjoy writing one about how to engage in "philosophical detection" (see Philosophy: Who Needs It?). However, it occured to me that this might be plagarism, so I'm hoping someone can help me sort out exactly what I can and can't write in this essay.

I'm planning on attributing the phrase "philosophical detection" to Ayn Rand (i.e. stating that she coined it) as I have never seen anyone else use that particular phrase, however, I find it so apt that I am loathe to make up a lesser phrase to describe the process.

For the actual content of the essay, though, I am planning on describing the methods that I personally use when confronted with a new idea I want to examine. I'm not a professor of philsophy and my methods are probably a bit childish; certainly not anything that Ayn Rand herself would use.

Is this original enough, or should I avoid the whole issue by writing about something else? I'm just sick to death of writing stupid papers about how to make an omelet or find the library.

I have to write an explanatory essay for an English class and I thought I would most enjoy writing one about how to engage in "philosophical detection" (see Philosophy: Who Needs It?). [...]

For the actual content of the essay, though, I am planning on describing the methods that I personally use when confronted with a new idea I want to examine. [...]

Could you tell the forum more about what you mean? If you are not writing about philosophical detection (as Ayn Rand defines that idea), then what are you wanting to write about?

You said you wanted to talk, instead, about how to examine any new idea. That doesn't necessarily mean philosophical detection. You can examine ideas for other purposes. The most obvious other purpose is validity. You could also examine an idea for its effects on life, when applied. Further you could examine a new idea for its historical -- rather than philosophical -- origins.

Which of these purposes -- or others -- did you have in mind? Once you answer that question, then you can come up with your own name for the process, if it needs a label.

P. S. There is no question mark at the end of Philosophy: Who Needs It. I too used to make that mistake. However, Ayn Rand wasn't asking a question; she was explaining. She knew the answer.

Do please post your essay when you finish it!

I finished the first draft but I'm not sure if I'm comfortable with posting it. It's pretty awful, largely because it's extremely generic. I hate writing these essays for a grade . . . it feels like I'm trying to wedge my brain into a very small box instead of saying what I actually think.

I am, however, working on an essay about prostitution (oh, what a great topic :dough:) that is a result of my thoughts on a few threads here. It may be a while before I'm done, though; I'm quite busy.