Objectivism Online Forum

Help Nominate Rand as the Greatest American EVER!

Rate this topic

What's this for?

Check the link! It is a Discovery Channel thing. It says "Nominate and then watch Discovery Chanel and then watch in June as we count down to the Greatest American of all time."

There is even a link to a video streaming preview.

This thing is sponsored by AOL and The Discovery Channel.

They are going to count down from 100 all the way to number on in the month of June.

:dough:

Edited by Tryptonique

I'll watch this when it comes on, but something tells me it's going to be filled with crap. I guarantee you FDR and JFK are both in the top 10. Joseph McCarthy should be, but he won't...if the Discovery Channel did something on the worst 100 Americans, I guarantee you he'd be on that list. Such is the mentality of most Americans today.

I'll watch this when it comes on, but something tells me it's going to be filled with crap.  I guarantee you FDR and JFK are both in the top 10.  Joseph McCarthy should be, but he won't...if the Discovery Channel did something on the worst 100 Americans, I guarantee you he'd be on that list.  Such is the mentality of most Americans today.

Anyone want to bet money that Michael Moore will make the list? ;)

• 1 month later...
Joseph McCarthy should be, but he won't...if the Discovery Channel did something on the worst 100 Americans, I guarantee you he'd be on that list.  Such is the mentality of most Americans today.

He is one of the worst Americans! Yes, he was anti-communist, but he accused people of being communist that indeed were not. Just like The Crucible by Arthur Miller.

But she wasnt an American :lol:

She became an American citizen some years after she immigrated to the United States. She is self-identified as an American, more specifically as an American writer. She is also often classified even by academics as an American author and philosopher. She adopted (and uniquely provided the proper moral basis of) American ideals and values. She lived 61 years of her life of 82 years in America. How can she not be an American?

Eh...I still think George Washington and Thomas Jefferson take precedence over Ayn Rand, though she certainly deserves a nomination.

I don't agree with you. Washington and Jefferson might have been great, but they were mistaken in some of their ideas, such as their belief in god. Ayn Rand was the first to provide a comprehensively rational explanation for American pride! As Peikoff said of her, never was the truth discovered on so large a scale!