Objectivism Online Forum

Hello All!

Rate this topic

I consider myself fortunate to have stumbled upon this site, and I look forward to sharing ideas with all of you!  

A little about myself: I'm currently a college student studying Finance, but my true passion is writing music.  I was introduced to Objectivism about 3 years ago by both my cousin and the music of Rush.  I haven't read an incredible amount of Ayn Rand's works, but I have read The Virtue of Selfishness as well as many of her essays.  As far as other Objectivist works go, I have read most of OPAR and The Ominous Parallels; I'm also extensively familiar with many online videos regarding Objectivism, specifically talks/debates by Yaron Brook, Leonard Peikoff, Harry Binswanger, Onkar Ghate, and Alex Epstein.  I love all kinds of art! So excited to hear what the folks of the Objectivism Online Forum have to say!!!!!!

8 minutes ago, Reidy said:

Welcome to the forum. You've followed an unusual path, as most of us read the novels first.

Yeah, I suppose it is a little odd to get into the nitty gritty right away.  I guess I was just really fascinated by the political aspect and the inner-workings of the philosophy from the time I was originally introduced.  Of course, I've heard the novels are fantastic from a few people, and I'm very excited to read them! I suppose either Atlas Shrugged or The Fountainhead would be the logical starting point to delve into the fiction?

Edited by Peikoff's Mullet

Anthem is the traditional starter for middle-schoolers. After that age people usually start with The Fountainhead then move on to Atlas Shrugged and We The Living, with Anthem somewhere along the way.

Hey, I love the username!

If you're excited to read Rand's fiction, I'd say start with whatever sounds most interesting. I started with Atlas Shrugged, just because it seemed cool. You could start with Anthem too, because it would probably remind you a lot of Rush, with 2112 or the song Anthem.

19 minutes ago, Eiuol said:

Hey, I love the username!

If you're excited to read Rand's fiction, I'd say start with whatever sounds most interesting. I started with Atlas Shrugged, just because it seemed cool. You could start with Anthem too, because it would probably remind you a lot of Rush, with 2112 or the song Anthem.

Thanks!

After giving it a bit of thought, I figure I'll probably start with The Fountainhead simply because Howard Roark seems like a real cool guy.  Unfortunately, it'll probably be awhile before I can really start on the fiction; I feel obligated to finish OPAR and Ominous Parallels, and I've got Equal is Unfair on the way...hopefully I'll get to her fiction before I'm dead :stuart: