Objectivism Online Forum

Daylight Saving Time

Well, it's that time of year again, for those who live in parts of the world that like to set the clocks forward an hour in the spring or set them back in the fall.

The conversation switches from the weather to the hour gained or lost.

Really, people? Does changing the time on the clock make a difference to the flow of time?

When the power goes out, and all the digital clocks in the house go dark, does time stop too?

When the power comes back on, I get reintroduced to the wide range of electronic programming differences that can be used to set the time  on the alarm clock, which differs from how the time gets set on the microwave, which differs still from the coffee maker. The coffee maker makes do, often with the least number of buttons that can be used to access the programming embedded within, but I digress.

I can't really get upset with an act of nature that may disrupt the power supply, but until the utility companies, or an entrepreneur figures out how to maintain an uninterrupted source of power, it will occur periodically.

On the other hand, when the politicians in the state play with the time keeping in this way - I don't think I'm gaining or losing an hour over the course of the year. But I do have to spend time out of my life to set those clocks twice a year. Yet another way government costs me time. Instead of Daylight Saving Time, it should be identified for what it really is. Daylight Spending Time.

Now I know there are devices out there that set themselves, in the case of a power outage, and some of them even have a built in function to automatically adjust for daylight savings affected areas. I can imagine in the not too distant future, this capability being rolled out to more devices. I am a little surprised that it is not already implemented into OnStar enabled vehicles.

Edited by dream_weaver