Objectivism Online Forum

Having trouble writing "Corporate Social Responsibility" essay

Rate this topic

dadmonson

6 hours ago, Craig24 said:

I sort of get it here.  If they advertise their cars as EPA compliant

I'm gonna stop you right there. No one advertises their cars as "EPA compliant". I'm sure VW is on the record saying that their cars are EPA compliant, but VW execs lying to deceive the people holding a gun to their heads, are 100% justified in doing so. They're not lying to sell cars, they're lying to BE ALLOWED TO sell cars.

That leaves the "pollution" accusations. If you wish to claim that, at the same time, VW also violated someone's rights, by polluting the air, go ahead...but you better have an objective standard to judge them (and everyone else who emits any kind of gases into the atmosphere) by, first. Without it, you might as well be accusing me of polluting your air by farting.

Just going by "whatever the EPA says is pollution is pollution", like SpookyKitty is doing, is not an objective standard. Not even close.

Edited by Nicky

1 hour ago, Nicky said:

I'm gonna stop you right there. No one advertises their cars as "EPA compliant". I'm sure VW is on the record saying that their cars are EPA compliant, but VW execs lying to deceive the people holding a gun to their heads, are 100% justified in doing so. They're not lying to sell cars, they're lying to BE ALLOWED TO sell cars.

They're lying to people who for whatever reason want cars with a certain level of efficiency. The only justification to lie here is if you declare you are opposed to the regulations, and if you don't proceed to defraud the people who aren't responsible for the regulations. VW did neither. Their cars didn't work as advertised. VW didn't stand up to regulators, rather, they pragmatically "played the game". 

2 hours ago, Nicky said:

They're not lying to sell cars, they're lying to BE ALLOWED TO sell cars.

Exactly.

12 hours ago, SpookyKitty said:

And when they [disobey Attila's laws], it all boils down to a brutal contest of strength which he always wins.

Always?

I disagree. Rationality is practical in every aspect of life (up to and including contests of "strength"). You should research Ghengis Kahn, sometime; particularly what allowed him to succeed so consistently in so many different pursuits. It wasn't the strength of his muscles.

In the words of the original Danneskjold:

'If my fellow men believe it's practical to deal with me by means of force, let them see what happens when one of their betters follows suit.'