Objectivism Online Forum

Distributed Computing

Rate this topic

deedlebee

I only know of two projects that use distributed computing so far. SETI and Folding@home. For the past 5 years, my computer's idleness has been crunching away for SETI. I only recently found out about the Stanford project (after rummaging around Google labs) and immediately switched. The first "package" took over 4 days to crunch and send back. :huh::lol:

Does anyone know of other distributed computing projects? If so, which do you like to participate in? If you don't participate for philosophical reasons, why?

(Note to mods, this topic is not in anyway intended to be some sort of advertisement.)

Does anyone know of other distributed computing projects?  If so, which do you like to participate in?  If you don't participate for philosophical reasons, why?

I used to participate in the RC5 project on distributed.net. I like it better than SETI@home because it actually has a real-world use and there's a prize if your computer happens to break the encryption code.

Thank you for bringing these projects back to my attention, I had forgotten all about them :lol:.

EDIT:

I just came across this site with links to a whole bunch of distributed computing projects.

Edited by Bryan

Does anyone know of other distributed computing projects?  If so, which do you like to participate in?  If you don't participate for philosophical reasons, why?

(Note to mods, this topic is not in anyway intended to be some sort of advertisement.)

Here at Deakin University [Waurn Ponds Campus] , Australia. We have an on going distributed system program that has been going for a number of years. It was first called RHODUS. Now it is called GENSIS. It is headed by Professor Andrei Goscinski who was the first person, as far as know, to release a scientific papers dealing with Distributed systems. I think the paper was released in 1981, though I will have to check my resources.

As far as participating in GENSIS, Andrei is pretty protective of it. So only those who doing there PhD under Andrei get to work on. Note: I am only a lonely Master's Student. As for what type of research I would like to do on GENSIS I am not sure. I will have to think on that one.

Note to crackers/hackers: GENSIS is an independent system that is not attached to internet so don't bother wasting your time trying to get into the system.

Ash :thumbsup:

I've been running the GIMPS program on my computer for about a year now. It requires no work on my end, and doesn't affect the speed of my programs (which is important when I run CAD programs). Discovering a new Mersenne prime number would be pretty exciting.

Edited by Monte Cristo