Objectivism Online Forum

Or is it the "Silence of Signs"?

It's ironic how different the media can resonate and help point to one's sense of life.

When a deaf mute was discovered in yet another Bones episode"The Signs in the Silence"

Kidnapped at age 3, the kidnappers claimed to be the parents, but later the validity of the claim was ultimately disputed in the face of contradictory evidence.

Now I find myself musing over old bromides that got bantied about my environment growing up. Church was attended religiously every Sunday morning, Sunday night, and Wednesday evening. The ever popular expressions of "bring up a child in the way he should go, and he will not depart from it". I recall my father telling me the night I moved out from under his roof, that the purpose of education was to learn how to learn. Sage advice, for sure. It has certainly spiced up my life.

Another, that seemed to tie more into the movie here, was "Spare the rod, spoil the child." The kidnappers were only trying to get the deaf/mute to mind, in order to "fit in". In a blinding flash of anger, I zeroed in on this, but the complexity of other factors brought into the script makes it difficult to identify specifically the connection. I digress.

After 6 seasons, after certain themes in the show became noticeable, the leading roles put the man of justice joining up with the woman of science. Bones comes across as the empiricist struggling to deal with her non-material dealings, while Booth continues to be the mystic in pursuit of justice. Again, I digress.

For those familiar with the seasons up to this point, know that Bones has had to wrestle with unresolved conflict with her father.

What leaps out at me here is, once yet again from Attila and the Witch Doctor:

In literature, we are shown a line-up of murderers, dipsomaniacs, drug addicts, neurotics and psychotics as representatives of man's soul—and are invited to identify our own among them—with the belligerent assertions that life is a sewer, a foxhole or a rat race, with the whining injunctions that we must love everything, except virtue, and forgive everything, except greatness.

Colombo was a likeable, albeit bumbling soul. Bones and Booth are both being sure to be well seasoned with faults to ensure the guilt is to bought into, lock, stock, and barrel.

Mr. Hastings had passed away prior to Dagny ever reaching Mrs. Hastings in Atlas Shrugged. The terminus of the journey seems plausible at this point, or am I truly missing her point?

Betrayal and discovery should not occupy opposite sides of the same coin, as I reckon it. Yet, when the tapioca pudding is served cold, the tip still gets calculated at the standard percentage.