Objectivism Online Forum

Harvard's Larry Summers

Rate this topic

gags

After reading the thread on Col. Univ. professor Ward Churchill, I was struck by the horrible double standards in American academia.

If you're not aware, Larry Summers (President of Harvard U.) is being attacked for his comments regarding women during a conference that took place in January, 2005. His critics are now calling for his resignation. Here's the Boston Globe story.

http://www.boston.com/news/local/massachus...ted_transcript/

Apparently one should feel free to call the innocent victims of Islamic fascism "little Eichmans" and seek the detruction of this country (as Churchill did). However, if you attempt to answer the question as to why women are underrepresented in certain professions, the left will go after you with a vengeance. It's not that one should expect anything but hypocrisy from the left, I just find it disgusting.

If you'd like to read the transcript of Summers' comments, it's here:

http://www.president.harvard.edu/speeches/2005/nber.html

Edited by gags

After reading the thread on Col. Univ. professor Ward Churchill, I was struck by the horrible double standards in American academia. 

Apparently one should feel free to call the innocent victims of Islamic fascism "little Eichmans" and seek the detruction of this country (as Churchill did).  However, if you attempt to answer the question as to why women are underrepresented in certain professions, the left will go after you with a vengeance.  It's not that one should expect anything but hypocrisy from the left, I just find it disgusting.

The problem I see with Summers's remarks is the leap of faith from finding a difference in form to concluding that such a difference explains differences in function/performance. Certainly, men on average have larger brains than women, but size may be no advantage as research also shows men and women use different parts of their brains to think. Furthermore, I see nothing in Summers's argument that effectively isolates biological factors from socialization in accounting for performance.

Edited by Tom Robinson

It's really sad. I predict that the mushbrains will have their way, and he will be out of there as a result of his insensitive (read: honest but politically incorrect) statements. There are some things you just are not supposed to say. If you add this to his Afro problems, I would be massively stunned if he doesn't get the boot (of course it won't be publically presented as a boot).