Objectivism Online Forum

Split: Spelling edit by GC

Rate this topic

[it's "reason," not "resaon" -GC]

GC-

I like this place. I took a look at your website and I also liked it. However, the above was nothing but a typo. This place is nothing but a discussion forum. I don't really have a lot of time in my life, let alone extra time to go in and edit internet discussion posts. Sorry, but if this is going to be a place not about discussing ideas but nitpicking each other .... I'm not about to stay.

[it's "reason," not "resaon" -GC]

GC-

I like this place.  I took a look at your website and I also liked it.  However, the above was nothing but a typo.  This place is nothing but a discussion forum.  I don't really have a lot of time in my life, let alone extra time to go in and edit internet discussion posts.  Sorry, but if this is going to be a place not about discussing ideas but nitpicking each other .... I'm not about to stay.

If an "internet discussion post" is so beneath you why go to any at all?

It's not "beneath" me. It's that this is a *casual* discussion forum, which should be more light-hearted. I have enough worrying in my regular life to meet deadlines and make sure every detail is right .... in fact I get complimented on my ability to do this at work .... and I write my own articles, in which I have to edit and re-edit .... I'm not really interested in coming to a *discussion* forum, which should be light-hearted, and getting nitpicked. I will worry about perfection when it *matters* and allot my time to other things that are of value to me, like going to the gym or being with my b/f rather than editing and re-editing *discussion forum* posts. Sorry, but that is ridiculous and those who are worried about nothing but mere *typos* have too much time on their hands. And, I hate to be catty like this, but if you want to play this game ... frankly, I went to GC's website last night and even noted to myself that his grammar was not that good! If this site wants utterly perfect posts all the time, that's fine, but I'm not about to stay .... and I know I contribute a lot of ideas and discussion wherever I go.

first you said

...if this is going to be a place not about discussing ideas but nitpicking each other ....
then you said

It's not "beneath" me. It's that this is a *casual* discussion forum, which should be more light-hearted. I have enough worrying in my regular life to meet deadlines and make sure every detail is right .... in fact I get complimented on my ability to do this at work .... and I write my own articles, in which I have to edit and re-edit .... I'm not really interested in coming to a *discussion* forum, which should be light-hearted, and getting nitpicked. I will worry about perfection when it *matters* and allot my time to other things that are of value to me, like going to the gym or being with my b/f rather than editing and re-editing *discussion forum* posts. Sorry, but that is ridiculous and those who are worried about nothing but mere *typos* have too much time on their hands. And, I hate to be catty like this, but if you want to play this game ... frankly, I went to GC's website last night and even noted to myself that his grammar was not that good! If this site wants utterly perfect posts all the time, that's fine, but I'm not about to stay .... and I know I contribute a lot of ideas and discussion wherever I go.

Whose nitpicking?

It was a correction to make you post more understandable. Yes this is a discussion forum but the members of the forum shouldn’t have to decipher you misspellings because you lack the time to proof read it. We discuss serious topics here and take a serious attitude towards the answers we give. I don’t know what it is you do for a job but what ever it is you’re not going to send out a product with flaws and tell the customer “lighten up” when he/she points it out to you.

but I'm not about to stay

fine then, leave

Now for lightheartedness. Regarding typos, I often forget to capitolize "i" when used by itself. Relating this to philosophical meaning one could express the difference between egoism and selflessness thus:

Capital I was hungry and went to the store for bread;

small i just sat on the floor and ended up dead.

B.Royce and Gnomer9, this behavior is flatly rude. It wasn't your post, and you have no right to tell Amber what she should and shouldn't think. Amber: everyone makes typographical errors. Personally (not saying you should take this attitude) I like it when the mods and admins are interested enough to correct errors that might make me look a little silly and lessen the impact of my ideas.

GC may have been a little obstreperous when he pointed it out so obviously, however there was recently a huge fight over mods editing posts, so it's understandable that they may be a bit paranoid. My general experience is that the mods here are generally good-humored human beings but they make mistakes, too. Best policy is probably to just send a PM to the particular mod that ticked you off, quoting the post in question.

Oh, and I'm also going to suggest (politely) that all the typographical sniping posts be deleted off this thread, including this one, after 24 hours so that the involved individuals can read this.

Edit: (Royce, I saw your last post, so consider yourself cleared, not that my opinion matters for much. :lol:)

Edit again: fixed own typographical error ;)

Not to keep this going so off topic, but I just had to point out that almost every post in this thread has a typographical error.

Indivuduals –Jmeagan

Capitolize-B Royce

Whose-Gnomer (I’m thinking you mean who is?)

Doesnt-Hal (doesn’t)

I just thought that was sort of ironic. Feel free to delete this post with the others on this topic if that is the outcome :lol:

I humbly back down from my claim, I apologize for my rudeness.

To get back on to topic, most people are unaware of any other meaning and in most cases won’t go looking for it. They hear their teachers and professors use it in there science and math classes and assume that is the only place it has meaning. Plus I think it has something to do with laziness. I know from personal experience that some people will do what ever they can not to think about something. They will just accept the response that they feel is the closest to what seems right and stick with it with out even knowing what it is. Just imagine what the world would be like if people put as much effort into thinking as they did into not having too.

Amber,

Don't take it too hard, whenever we see a spelling mistake that might affect readers understanding - we correct it. Out of decency, we also note that we have corrected it, to let you know your post had been edited, and why.

I think it's a fair practice, considering we all have typos and grammatical mishaps.

Is okay, you're new too.  Thanks for apologizing.

As for me, I'm not new, but thanks for clearing me. Actually, I wasn't telling Amber what she should think. I was responding to the fact that her "excuse" of having so little time didn't mesh with her longer response to David's correction than a shorter response of "Okay" or no response at all. So, I concluded that she held little value for this site. Well, we will see.

Since my little edit changed the whole topic of the thread, I split it off into a new one.

I expect users to proofread their posts at least once. I don’t think that this is asking too much. When I think that this hasn’t been done, I will fix spelling errors to encourage you to do so in the future.

I write my posts in MS Word, so I catch most of my mistakes right away.

Edited by GreedyCapitalist