Objectivism Online Forum

Minarchist/Ancap worldbuilding for scifi novel - help please.

Rate this topic

TonyMo

Greetings.

I'm over 120K words in my scifi novel and would love your brutal feedback on the viability of the world in the story.

Earth is essentially a series of continental unions run by what is effectively a world government.

The off-world communities (free of Earth's influence since the war of liberation), are on a path to anarcho-capitalism, but not there yet.

There is only one law that governs those who join the off-world economic forum ('the Forum'), and that is that law of consent; you can do whatever you want to others, as long as they provide their consent.

There is no tax.

The Forum has an Articles of Association, a contract which effectively serves as the Forum’s ‘constitution’. Those born within the lands occupied by Forum members are deemed to accept the contract, as they are free to leave if they wish.

The Articles has two clauses; one establishes that the only law of the land is that of consent, and provides a strict definition. The second clause establishes the Court of Consent, and that it has the final say in disputes relating to the interpretation of ‘consent’ (it does not provide rulings on facts or anything else).

The Court of Consent is privately funded – partly by disputants and partly by philanthropists (given that determining ‘consent’ is the pillar of society). The court has taken a strict and non-expansive view of the definition of ‘consent’. Appeals to this court are rare, partly because of the cost involved. The first judges of the court were selected by members of the first Forum, by vote. New judges are appointed by sitting judges (by consensus). Judges make their day-to-day living as paid arbitrators, handling consent disputes (usually relating to formal contracts).

Police, military, emergency services, courts, hospitals, etc. are privatised. Disputes can be handled by paid arbitrators. People protect themselves by paying for some form of security insurance, or by arming themselves.

The Forum has a standing private military funded mainly by the wealthier members to ward of any potential attack from Earth. It is funded voluntarily, although some of the cost may filter down to consumers through increased prices.

There are anarcho-capitalist groups who wish to throw away the Articles and the Court of Consent, as they see it as a form of government. Their argument is that the Articles was intended to be a stepping stone to total liberty, and that it’s now time to take that step.

• 4 months later...

I'd read this! :) Sounds pretty good. I'm guessing you are well acquainted with this kind of material (video below I mean!) (and all the other mises institute stuff) judging from your heavy reliance on arbitrage systems. :) Nice to find another like-minded individual who thinks the same way I do.

If you really want some feedback I guess I don't really get why the judges are appointed by vote though (in an ancap society)... And why they could not instead put themselves forward as trusted individuals (could be anyone in theory) who know the law or are well established rational thinkers on principled grounds and further develop market demand due to their growing track record for passing unbiased judgement on arbitrage cases (more of a meritocracy).

It worries me to have to resort to a voting system for something as important as appointing people as important as judges. I trust a free market much more because the judges are thus much more responsive to their "customers". The judges might even stand when THE ACCUSED / DEFENDANT enters the court room (rather than everyone else standing) and would want to deliver a well heard and even-handed judgement in clear view of all who may be bearing witness to the court case (would gain more popularity and reputation --> $$). Just my 2 cents..

Edited by Hayden Donnelly